Rihanna releasing a controversial video, Justin Bieber going public with Selena Gomez, and Charlie Sheen getting fired from 'Two and a Half Men' are the highlights in the first quarter of 2011.
AceShowbiz - AceShowbiz is back with its annual Kaleidoscope which compiles the most important events in entertainment world throughout a year. If 2010 was marred with celebrity splits, the first quarter of 2011 is no different. High profiled couple %cJustin Timberlake% and %cJessica Biel% ended their relationship in March. A month prior, %cAshlee Simpson% and %cPete Wentz% filed for divorce.
As one romance fizzles out, another blooms. Teen sensation %cJustin Bieber% finally admitted to the world that he was dating %cSelena Gomez% in February. The happy news continued as %cDemi Lovato% emerged from her rehab stint and announced a comeback. There was also the reunion of the Cyruses and the announcement of %cJessica Alba%'s second pregnancy.
In late January, %cRihanna% released a music video of her sex-fueled single "S&M" as a jab to the paps. The video, directed by Melina Matsoukas, was a picture of how the press treated celebrities like her. The singer was constricted by a clear plastic against the wall while the reporters jotted down demeaning words such as "slut". In other frames, she was a dominatrix who whipped and put blogger Perez Hilton on a leash. Upon its release, the video was immediately banned in several countries due to its overtly sexual content. Rihanna simply responded via Twitter, "They watched 'Umbrella'... I was full nude."
- Other notable events of the month:
- Jan 03: Longtime couple %cMila Kunis% and %cMacaulay Culkin% called it quits.
- Jan 04: %cTaylor Swift% split from %cJake Gyllenhaal%.
- Jan 04: %cKellie Pickler% wed her fiance Kyle Jacobs.
- Jan 05: %cEminem% grabbed four trophies at 2011 People's Choice Awards.
- Jan 05: %cEminem% and %cKaty Perry% scored 2010 U.S. best-selling album and song.
- Jan 06: %cDavid Arquette% went to rehab.
- Jan 06: Homeless man %cTed Williams% appeared on national television for the first time.
- Jan 07: %cOrlando Bloom% and %cMiranda Kerr% welcomed a baby boy.
- Jan 07: %cTaylor Swift% was named Billboard's 2010 top-selling and most-played artist.
- Jan 07: History Channel decided not to air "The Kennedys" due to unfitting theme.
- Jan 10: %cShakira% announced separation from boyfriend of 11 years.
- Jan 12: CBS announced that %cSkeet Ulrich% would no longer be part of "Law & Order: Los Angeles" for creative reason.
- Jan 16: %cTeresa Scanlan% from Nebraska was crowned as 2011 Miss America.
- Jan 16: "Boardwalk Empire" and "Glee" won the highest honor at 68th Golden Globes Awards.
- Jan 16: "The Social Network" won Best Drama title at the 68th Golden Globe Awards.
- Jan 16: "Hannah Montana" ended its four-year run on Disney Channel with record rating.
- Jan 18: %cKatie Price% confirmed split from %cAlex Reid%.
- Jan 21: %cMonica% secretly eloped with %cShannon Brown%.
- Jan 23: %cRegis Philbin% announced live that he's quiting "Live With Regis and Kelly".
- Jan 24: %cTed Williams% ditched rehab only a few days after checking into the facility.
- Jan 24: %cLil Wayne% announced I Am Music II Tour with %cNicki Minaj%.
- Jan 25: %cPenelope Cruz% and %cJavier Bardem% welcomed a baby boy.
- Jan 27: %cKate Hudson% confirmed she's pregnant with %cMatthew Bellamy%'s baby.
- Jan 28: %cDemi Lovato% was out of rehab.
- Jan 30: %cDavid Arquette% left rehab.
- Jan 30: %cHenry Cavill% was cast as the new Superman.
- Jan 31: %cRihanna% premiered controversial music video for "S&M".
For almost a year, %cJustin Bieber% and %cSelena Gomez% had been dodging questions about their relationship's status, but they could no longer deny the romance when paparazzi managed to capture them kissing on a yacht. The young couple eventually went public with their romance on February 27 at the Vanity Fair Oscar after-party, holding hands and posing together on the red carpet. Few days later love-struck Bieber tweeted to Gomez "I miss you" and she tweeted back, "I miss all of y'all."
- Other notable events of the month:
- Feb 02: MTV confirmed the revival of their '90s cartoon "Beavis and Butthead".
- Feb 06: %cChristina Aguilera% messed up the Nation Anthem lyrics at 2011 Super Bowl.
- Feb 08: %cOlivia Wilde% ended marriage with her longtime husband.
- Feb 08: Tarsem Singh's "Snow White" movie got %cJulia Roberts% as the villainous evil queen.
- Feb 08: "Glee" announced 2011 North American tour dates.
- Feb 09: %cAshlee Simpson% and %cPete Wentz% filed for divorce.
- Feb 09: %cLindsay Lohan% was officially charged with felony grand theft for allegedly stealing jewelry.
- Feb 10: Camille and %cKelsey Grammer%'s divorce was finalized.
- Feb 10: D'Angelo and Amanda were crowned the first winners of "Live to Dance".
- Feb 11: %cMichael Rosenbaum% finally confirmed his return to "Smallville".
- Feb 13: %cEminem% and %cLady GaGa% won multiple nods at 2011 Grammy Awards.
- Feb 16: %cLance Armstrong% ended his racing career.
- Feb 16: %cAdrianne Palicki% announced as the new "Wonder Woman".
- Feb 17: %cBritney Spears% unleashed advertisement-friendly music video for "Hold It Against Me".
- Feb 18: %cJustin Bieber% was named MVP at NBA Celebrity All-Star Game.
- Feb 20: %cDianna Agron% split from %cAlex Pettyfer% and moved out of their love nest.
- Feb 20: %cKanye West% dropped seizure-risked music video for "All of the Light".
- Feb 21: %cJustin Bieber% cut his famous hair flip and debuted a more mature look.
- Feb 21: %cMatthew Morrison% was spotted kissing %cOlivia Munn% on public.
- Feb 22: %cChris Brown%'s restraining order against %cRihanna% was officially lifted.
- Feb 24: %cJessie J% confirmed that she's bisexual.
- Feb 26: %cKelsey Grammer% got married to his fiancee in a Broadway theater.
- Feb 26: %cJames Franco% was locked to star in Sam Raimi's "Oz, the Great and Powerful".
- Feb 27: %cJustin Bieber% and %cSelena Gomez% went public with their romance by attending 2011 Oscar after-party together.
- Feb 27: "The King's Speech" was named Best Picture at 2011 Academy Awards.
- Feb 28: %cLady GaGa% debuted "Born This Way" music video.
After weeks of erratic behavior which jeopardized the production of "Two and a Half Men", %cCharlie Sheen% was fired on March 7. The kicking out of the actor from the show was not only due to his personal troubles but also because of his insult toward the show's creator Chuck Lorre. Responding to the termination, Sheen called it "very good news". A few days later, he launched a $100 million lawsuit against WB and Lorre accusing them of not having the basis to fire him.
- Other notable events of the month:
- Mar 02: %cChristina Aguilera% was arrested for public intoxication.
- Mar 02: %cLil Wayne% premiered music video for his first post-prison single "6 Foot 7 Foot".
- Mar 03: %cSerena Williams% was hospitalized for blood clot in her lungs.
- Mar 04: %cMike Myers%' secret marriage with Kelly Tisdale was confirmed by rep.
- Mar 04: %cJohn Legend% and %cThe Roots% dominated 2011 NAACP Image Awards with double victories.
- Mar 04: Disney Channel announced new title of "Sonny with a Chance" without %cDemi Lovato%.
- Mar 04: %cCharlie Sheen% set world record shortly after joining Twitter.
- Mar 05: Nude picture of %cChris Brown% leaked out.
- Mar 07: %cCharlie Sheen% was fired from "Two and a Half Men".
- Mar 08: BP Oil Rig tragedy would be made into a movie.
- Mar 09: %cSelena Gomez% debuted "Who Says" music video.
- Mar 11: %cJustin Timberlake% and %cJessica Biel% called it quits.
- Mar 11: "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn" filming was delayed due to Tsunami warning.
- Mar 10: %cMichael Jackson%'s second official posthumous single "Hollywood Tonight" got a music video.
- Mar 12: %cJewel Kilcher% was released from hospital after being involved in car crash.
- Mar 14: %cRebecca Black% created viral commotion with her poorly-reviewed single "Friday".
- Mar 14: Brad Womack proposed to mother of one, Emily Maynard, on "The Bachelor" finale.
- Mar 15: %cGilbert Gottfried% got fired from his gig in voicing Aflac Duck after making fun of Japan disaster.
- Mar 16: %cBlack Eyed Peas% unveiled "Just Can't Get Enough" music video (Tribute to Japan).
- Mar 16: %cVanessa Hudgens% worked with cops after more of her nude photos leaked.
- Mar 16: %cNate Dogg% died of complications from strokes at the age of 41.
- Mar 16: %cJustin Bieber% unveiled his wax figure.
- Mar 17: Darren Aronofsky left "The Wolverine".
- Mar 17: %cKanye West% and %cWiz Khalifa% won 2011 mtvU Woodie Awards at SXSW Festival.
- Mar 18: Representative confirmed %cJoe Jonas%' split from %cAshley Greene%.
- Mar 18: %cBilly Ray Cyrus% announced he has called off divorce from wife Tish.
- Mar 21: %cRicky Martin% won Vito Russo Trophy at 2011 GLAAD Media Awards.
- Mar 22: %cSoulja Boy% lost his little half-brother in a car accident.
- Mar 23: %cElizabeth Taylor% passed away after suffering from congestive heart failure.
- Mar 23: %cChris Brown% smashed a window at the "Good Morning America" studio in Times Square.
- Mar 25: %cTom Hanks% made his return to network TV in more than 20 years through his guest starring gig on "30 Rock".
- Mar 26: %cReese Witherspoon% married agent Jim Toth at her ranch estate in Ojai, California.
» | » | »