Twenty one qualified independent films from various notable filmmakers and actors have been selected to join the prestigious film festival that will be held on January 19-29 next year in Utah.
The 2012 Sundance Film Festival has announced its premiere line-up on Monday, December 5. There are 13 dramatic and 8 documentary movies that have been selected to be screened during the prestigious festival that will be held on January 19-29 next year in Park City, Utah.
While the competition line-up mainly include first-time or largely unknown filmmakers, the premiere line-up mostly involve movies by filmmakers and actors who are already familiar with the mainstream film industry. Those heavy-hitters will vie for the attention of potential theatrical distributors during the festival.
"I like my brothers and sisters in the distribution world!" said festival director John Cooper. "The fact that most of the Premieres have been produced completely independently further underscores the resourcefulness and tenacity of filmmakers in this climate."
"That drive and entrepreneurial spirit has pushed narrative and documentary filmmakers alike to create rich stories which will entertain and inspire audiences at the festival and in the year to come," he continued.
The star-studded premiere line-up include Spike Lee's "Red Hook Summer", Lee Toland Krieger's "Celeste and Jesse Forever" and Julie Delpy's "2 Days in New York". Amy Berg's documentary "West of Memphis", which co-produced by Peter Jackson, was also among the A-list line-up.
Famous actors who star in the movies to be premiered during the festival include the likes of Richard Gere ("Arbitrage"), Elizabeth Olsen ("Liberal Arts" and "Red Lights"), Bruce Willis ("Lay the Favorite"), Bradley Cooper ("The Words"), Kirsten Dunst ("Bachelorette"), David Duchovny ("Goats") and many others.
Previously, Sundance has revealed the competition line-up which is made of independent films from 31 countries and 46 first-time filmmakers, as well as out-of-competition line-up that includes ultra low-budget movies, short films and others. More info about the films which join the festival can be obtained on Sundance official site.
- "2 Days in New York" (Director: Julie Delpy, Cast: Julie Delpy, Chris Rock, Albert Delpy)
- "Arbitrage" (Director: Nicholas Jarecki, Cast: Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Tim Roth, Brit Marling)
- "Bachelorette" (Director: Leslye Headland, Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Isla Fisher, Lizzy Caplan, James Marsden)
- "California Solo" (Director: Marshall Lewy, Cast: Robert Carlyle, Alexia Rasmussen, Kathleen Wilhoite)
- "Celeste and Jesse Forever" (Director: Lee Toland Krieger, Cast: Rashida Jones, Andy Samberg, Elijah Wood, Emma Roberts)
- "For A Good Time, Call..." (Director: Jamie Travis, Cast: Ari Graynor, Lauren Anne Miller, Justin Long, Mark Webber)
- "Goats" (Director: Christopher Neil, Cast: David Duchovny, Vera Farmiga, Graham Phillips, Justin Kirk)
- "Lay the Favorite" (Director: Stephen Frears, Cast: Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rebecca Hall)
- "Liberal Arts" (Director: Josh Radnor, Cast: Josh Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen, Richard Jenkins, Allison Janney)
- "Price Check" (Director: Michael Walker, Cast: Parker Posey, Eric Mabius, Annie Parisse, Josh Pais)
- "Red Hook Summer" (Director: Spike Lee, Cast: Clarke Peters, Jules Brown, Toni Lysaith, James Ransone)
- "Red Lights" (Director: Rodrigo Cortes, Cast: Cillian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver, Robert De Niro, Elizabeth Olsen)
- "Robot and Frank" (Director: Jake Schreier, Cast: Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, Liv Tyler)
- "Shadow Dancer" (Director: James Marsh, Cast: Andrea Riseborough, Aidan Gillen, Domhnall Gleeson)
- "The Words" (Directors: Brian Klugman, Lee Sternthal, Cast: Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde with Zoe Saldana)
- "About Face" (Director: Timothy Greenfield-Sanders)
- "A Fierce Green Fire" (Director: Mark Kitchell)
- "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography" (Director: Stacy Peralta)
- "The D Word: Understanding Dyslexia" (Director: James Redford)
- "Ethel" (Director: Rory Kennedy)
- "Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap" (Director: Ice-T)
- "Untitled Paul Simon Project" (Director: Joe Berlinger)
- "West of Memphis" (Director: Amy Berg)