The Slim Shady and Usher scoop two prizes each, but Bieber tops them all by bagging four awards, including Artist of the Year.
Previously losing Favorite Pop/Rock Band, Duo or Group to Black Eyed Peas and T-Mobile Breakthrough Artist to Justin Bieber, Lady Antebellum didn't walk home empty-handed at the American Music Awards. The three-piece group won Favorite Country Band, Duo or Group, tackling Zac Brown Band and Rascal Flatts.
In Alternative Rock Music field, Muse were handed Favorite Artist kudo by Avril Lavigne. The Matt Bellamy-fronted band won over Phoenix and Vampire Weekend. In Adult Contemporary, Michael Buble won the battle of Favorite Artist against Antebellum and Train, telling the crowd "God, I love winning things!"
Next, Antebellum presented Usher with his second award of the evening. He won Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist over Chris Brown and Trey Songz. Following his victory was his protege Justin Bieber who won the top honor, Artist of the Year.
It means that Bieber won all categories he was nominated in. Winning Favorite Pop/Rock Album and Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist earlier that night, he won his latest prize against such big stars Eminem, Ke$ha, Lady GaGa and Katy Perry. Crediting Usher for his success, he said, "He's not only my mentor, he's my best friend and my big brother. I love you, man."
Losing her chance in the top honor, GaGa still got one prize though. She received Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist, sending Ke$ha and Katy Perry home empty-handed. Eminem added another gong as he got Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album, and MercyMe grabbed Favorite Contemporary Inspirational Artist. The other winner was "Glee" cast and MercyMe. The "Glee" gang won Favorite Soundtrack for the third volume of their soundtrack album, beating "Iron Man 2" theme songs compilation by AC/DC and "The Twilight Saga's Eclipse" soundtrack effort.
- Artist of the Year: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist: Lady GaGa
- Favorite Pop/Rock Band, Duo or Group: Black Eyed Peas
- Favorite Pop/Rock Album: Justin Bieber - "My World 2.0"
- Favorite Country Male Artist: Brad Paisley
- Favorite Country Female Artist: Taylor Swift
- Favorite Country Band - Duo or Group: Lady Antebellum
- Favorite Country Album: Carrie Underwood - "Play On"
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Male Artist: Eminem
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album: Eminem - "Recovery"
- Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist: Usher
- Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist: Rihanna
- Favorite Soul/R&B Album: Usher - "Raymond vs. Raymond"
- T-Mobile Breakthrough Artist: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Soundtrack Album: "Glee: The Music - Volume 3 Showstoppers"
- Favorite Alternative Rock Artist: Muse
- Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist: Michael Buble
- Favorite Latin Artist: Shakira
- Favorite Contemporary Inspirational Artist: MercyMe