Taylor Swift is named Album Artist of the Year at the live ceremony, while Justin Bieber is crowned Digital Artist of the Year and Top New Artist.
Taylor Swift is the first winner announced at Billboard Music Awards on May 22. Live from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, it's announced by "Glee" actor Matthew Morrison that the country music cutie brought home Album Artist of the Year, thanks to her latest No. 1 album "Speak Now".
"The impact of an album is all determined by the fans," Swift told the audience upon receiving the award. "You've just given me another reason to be completely in love with you." It means that she gets a total of two prizes so far - before the show was kicked off, she has already received Top Country Album.
Next, Justin Bieber is invited to the stage to collect his trophy for Digital Artist of the Year. "I want to thank everybody who helped get me out of my hometown," the Canadian popstar said. He additionally thanked his fans and his mentor Usher.
In addition to the award announced at the live telecast, Bieber has already got multiple prizes which were not televised. The teen idol, who started his career as a YouTube singing sensation, scored Top Social Artist, Top Streaming Artist, Top Pop Album and Top Streaming Song (Video).
Randy Jackson comes on to the stage to announce Top Hot 100 Song which goes to Taio Cruz's hit single "Dynamite". The track, which also won Top Digital Song, was on the U.S. single chart for more than 40 weeks. The singer/songwriter said he's not been honored for being chosen as a recipient of the award.
Tim Allen presents Country Song of the Year, saying "I'm uniquely qualified to announce the Country Song of the Year, as I am from this country." He later announces Lady Antebellum as the winner, thanked to their hit single "Need You Now".
"Wizards of Waverly Place" star Selena Gomez and "Modern Family" actor Rico Rodriguez announce Black Eyed Peas as Top Duo/Group. Taboo, who recently welcomed a baby, thank his wife for the bundle of joy, "Thanks for the great baby."
After the performances by Viral Innovator Award recipient Cee-Lo Green and Country Song of the Year winner Lady Antebellum, Joe Jonas presents Radio Artist of the Year to Rihanna. Snoop Dogg and Far East Movement later introduce Bieber as Top New Artist.
Early winners which were not announced at the live telecast:
- Top Male Artist: Eminem
- Top Social Artist: Justin Bieber
- Top Streaming Artist: Justin Bieber
- Top Rap Artist: Eminem
- Top Dance/Electronic Artist: Lady GaGa
- Top Christian Artist: Chris Tomlin
- Top Billboard 200 Album: Eminem - "Recovery"
- Top Pop Album: Justin Bieber - "My World 2.0"
- Top R&B Album: Usher - "Raymond vs. Raymond"
- Top Rap Album: Eminem - "Recovery"
- Top Country Album: Taylor Swift - "Speak Now"
- Top Rock Album: Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More"
- Top Alternative Album: Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More"
- Top Dance/Electronic/Electronic Album: Lady GaGa - "The Fame"
- Top Christian Album: Skillet - "Awake"
- Top Digital Song: Taio Cruz - "Dynamite"
- Top Radio Song: Bruno Mars - "Just the Way You Are"
- Top Streaming Song (Audio): Nelly - "Just a Dream"
- Top Streaming Song (Video): Justin Bieber ft. Ludacris - "Baby"
- Top Pop Song: Taio Cruz - "Dynamite"
- Top R&B Song: Usher ft. will.i.am "OMG"
- Top Rap Song: Eminem ft. Rihanna - "Love the Way You Lie"
- Top Rock Song: Train - "Hey, Soul Sister"
- Top Alternative Song: Neon Trees - "Animal"
- Top Latin Song: Shakira ft. Freshleyground - "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)"
- Top Dance/Electronic Song: Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina - "Stereo Love"
- Top Christian Song: Chris Tomlin - "Our God"