Lil Wayne has on Thursday, October 22, pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon which stemmed from a 2007 arrest, during when authorities found illegal loaded gun on his tour bus. Due to his guilty plea, he is now facing a possible one year behind bars.
Wayne initially pleaded not guilty to the felony count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree. But he had a change of mind after a DNA profiling technique used by police proved small amounts of DNA found on the gun connected to him. His defense attorney, Stacey Richman had also raised questions about the new technique.
However, after the Thursday hearing Richman told E! News that plea agreement had been in the works for some time. Richman said, "Wayne decided that this was what he wanted to do. I think he had made the decision some time ago and there were discussions [with members of his posse]."
Wayne is currently free on $30,000 bond, but has been ordered to surrender his passport. His next court hearing is scheduled for December 15 later this year, at which point the case will be adjourned until February for sentencing. A trial date, meanwhile, has not yet been set.
When asked about how the sentencing would affect Wayne's career, Richman told E! News, "He's an elegant and intelligent man ..... I don't perceive given who he is, his talents, that this should damage him."