The winners for the annual awards have finally been announced with Kanye West taking home two awards.
The full winners for the 2008 BET Awards music category have finally been announced on June 24. Among the winners for the category, Kanye West and UGK get home with the most as both artists grab two awards.
Kanye takes home the prizes for Best Male Hip Hop Artist, beating the likes of Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Common and Snoop Dogg and also for Best Collaboration category for his duet with T-Pain on "Good Life". Meanwhile, UGK grab the awards for Best Group and Video of the Year with their clip "International Player's Anthem" featuring Outkast.
Other winners for the event's coveted awards were Lil Wayne, who takes home the Viewers' Choice Award and Alicia Keys with the Female R 'n' B Artist Award. T-Pain who led the nominations list after being nominated for 5 categories, only walked home with one award for his duet with Kanye.
Beside giving away the awards, the event were also highlighted with performances from great musicians such as Usher (the opening act), Kanye, Young Jeezy, Rihanna, Lil Wayne (the closing act) and many more. The awards show which was being held at the Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles was hosted by D.L. Lungley and was being intended to give appreciation for the achievement of black people not only in music but also for other major fields including sports and movie.
Full Winners of the 2008 BET Awards Music Category:
- Video of The Year: UGK featuring Outkast "International Player's Anthem"
- Best Female R&B Artist: Alicia Keys
- Best Male R&B Artist: Chris Brown
- Best Female Hip Hop Artist: Missy Elliott
- Best Male Hip Hop Artist: Kanye West
- Best New Artist : The-Dream
- Best Group: UGK
- Best Collaboration : Kanye West & T-Pain "Good Life"
- Best Gospel Artist: Marvin Sapp
- BetJ Award: Raheem DeVaughn
- Viewers' Choice Award: Lil Wayne
- BET Lifetime Achievement Award: Al Green
- Best Video Director: Erykah Badu and Mr. Roboto