'Rolling in the Deep' is the most downloaded song throughout 2011, while '21' is the best selling album of the year.
Just a few days after being announced as the frontrunner to have the first and second biggest selling album in the United Kingdom, Adele is revealed as the 2011 queen of iTunes by topping not just one but two lists. The British pop sensation rules lists of both best selling song and album on the digital store.
Adele's single "Rolling in the Deep" becomes the most downloaded song. The track, which actually was released a year ago, overshadows LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" which occupies the second place. Katy Perry's "Firework", Bruno Mars' "Grenade", and Cee-Lo Green's "Forget You" round up the top 5.
On the list of Top-Selling Albums, Adele reigns with her "21". The album, which has sold 4.8 million copies in the United States alone, wins the race to the top spot against Mumford & Sons' "Sigh No More", Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter IV". The folk rock effort and the hip-hop CD rank the second and the third respectively.
Additionally, iTunes declares Nicki Minaj as breakthrough artist of the year. Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks", which is the ninth-best selling song, is named song of the year. Meanwhile, Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light", which doesn't make it to the top 10 of best selling albums, is dubbed album of the year.
Top Selling Songs:
- "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
- "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO ft. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock
- "Firework" - Katy Perry
- "Grenade" - Bruno Mars
- "Forget You" - Cee-Lo Green
- "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull ft. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer
- "E.T." - Katy Perry ft. Kanye West
- "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera
- "Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People
- "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
- "21" - Adele
- "Sigh No More" - Mumford & Sons
- "Tha Carter IV" (Deluxe Edition) - Lil Wayne
- "Watch the Throne" (Deluxe Edition) - Kanye West and Jay-Z
- "Mylo Xyloto" - Coldplay
- "Born This Way" (Bonus Track Version) - Lady GaGa
- "Loud" - Rihanna
- "Take Care" (Deluxe Edition) - Drake
- "Teenage Dream" - Katy Perry
- "Doo - Wops & Hooligans" (Deluxe Edition) - Bruno Mars