Both films rake in three awards with the former landing Outstanding Motion Picture title and the latter chosen as Outstanding Independent Motion Picture.
The 42nd annual NAACP Image Awards has unveiled its winners on March 4 and big nominee "For Colored Girls" came out as one of the big winners as well. It snatched three gongs including the coveted Outstanding Motion Picture award. It beat out "Just Wright", "The Book of Eli", "The Kids Are All Right" and "Why Did I Get Married Too?" for the title.
The movie also led Kimberly Elise to win Outstanding Supporting Actress kudo which was eyed by her co-stars Anika Noni Rose, Phylicia Rashad and Whoopi Goldberg, as well as Jill Scott of "Why Did I Get Married Too?". The other honor received by the based-on-play drama was Outstanding Directing for Tyler Perry.
Another movie from Perry, "Why Did I Get Married Too?", went home empty handed despite getting multiple nominations. Meanwhile, another big winner at the Friday event was "Frankie and Alice" starring Halle Berry with three nods.
The psychological drama helped Berry land Outstanding Actress prize, edging out Janet Jackson ("Why Did I Get Married Too?"), Kerry Washington ("Night Catches Us"), Queen Latifah ("Just Wright") and Zoe Saldana ("The Losers"). It was additionally *tied with "Just Wright" as the winners in Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture category and chosen as Outstanding Independent Motion Picture.
"Biutiful" was named Outstanding Foreign Motion Picture, while Denzel Washington ("The Book of Eli") and Samuel L. Jackson ("Mother and Child") also celebrated that night for they won Outstanding Actor and Outstanding Supporting Actor respectively.
This year's NAACP Image Awards was held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California and aired live on FOX. In addition to movie, the prize-giving event recognized the best achievements by people of color in TV, music and literature.
Winners list of 42nd annual NAACP Image Awards in movie:
- Outstanding Motion Picture: "For Colored Girls"
- Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture: Denzel Washington - "The Book of Eli"
- Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture: Halle Berry - "Frankie and Alice"
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Samuel L. Jackson - "Mother and Child"
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Kimberly Elise - "For Colored Girls"
- Outstanding Independent Motion Picture: "Frankie and Alice"
- Outstanding Foreign Motion Picture: "Biutiful"
- Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television): Michael Elliot - "Just Wright"
- Outstanding Directing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television): Tyler Perry - "For Colored Girls"