Oscar De La Hoya, the president and founder of boxing promotion company Golden Boy Promotions, announced on Tuesday, September 10 that he had enrolled in a rehab facility. The announcement came prior to a match between Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Canelo Alvarez which the company promotes.
"Canelo Alvarez and I have big fights coming up this weekend. His is in the ring and mine in treatment," he said in a statement. "I will not be at the fight this Saturday to cheer Canelo to victory since I have voluntarily admitted myself into a treatment facility."
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said on Tuesday that De La Hoya admitted himself into rehab on Monday night. "I have no idea how long it's going to take, but hopefully he'll be good. For somebody who doesn't have that kind of abuse, be it alcohol, drugs, sex, or whatever, it may be difficult to understand," he explained, as quoted by USA Today.
"But some people who talked to me who have faced similar issues and are clean today explained how difficult it is to beat that disease. This is a constant battle and I think Oscar needs to focus on that constant battle and take care of his family. That is more important than anything else. In the meantime, I will be taking care of business as I usually do," he added.
De La Hoya entered rehab for the first time in 2011, saying that he had been battling alcohol and substance abuse. "Within a couple of years, just thinking, 'Is my life even worth it?' " he told Univison at that time. "I don't have the strength, I don't have the courage to take my own life. But I was thinking about it."
"There were drugs. My drug of choice was cocaine and alcohol. Cocaine was recent, the last two years, last two-and-a-half years, and I depended more on the alcohol than the cocaine. It took me to a place where I felt safe. It took me to a place where I felt like... nobody can say anything to me. It took me to a place where I can reach out and just grab my Mom," he added.