Both TV series snatch two prizes each at the inaugural awards show, with 'Modern Family' being picked as best comedy series.
"Modern Family" won big at the first-time ever Comedy Awards which took place in New York City on Saturday, March 26. The show took home the coveted Comedy Series prize, beating out other nominees like "30 Rock" and "The Office". The ABC series got another kudo for Comedy Directing TV.
Although missing the chance to win Comedy Series award, "30 Rock" still managed to bag two gongs which are Comedy Writing TV and Comedy Actor TV. Alec Baldwin was the one honored with the best actor title, beating out his own co-star Tracy Morgan in addition to Steve Carell of "The Office" among others.
Comedy Actress TV went to Kristen Wiig through her performance on "Saturday Night Live". Other winners at the first annual Comedy Awards were "South Park", "Childrens Hospital" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart". Meanwhile, Eddie Murphy and David Letterman were presented with Career Icon Award and Johnny Carson Award for Comedic Excellence respectively.
The inaugural Comedy Awards will air on Sunday, April 10 at 9 P.M. ET on Comedy Central, Spike TV, CMT, Logo, TV Land, VH1 and Nick at Nite. The ceremony also handed out some awards for movies.
The first annual Comedy Awards winners in TV:
- Comedy Series: "Modern Family"
- Comedy Actor TV: Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
- Comedy Actress TV: Kristen Wiig, "Saturday Night Live"
- Late Night Comedy Series: "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
- Sketch Comedy/Alternative Comedy Series: "Childrens Hospital"
- Animated Comedy Series: "South Park"
- Comedy Writing TV: "30 Rock"
- Comedy Directing TV: "Modern Family"