It were Ke$ha and Kamel Ouali who read the wrong name of International Group of the Year winner which should have gone to Tokio Hotel, instead of Black Eyed Peas.
The 11th Annual NRJ Music Awards has been held on Saturday night, January 23 in Cannes, France with Kelly Rowland, Dita Von Teese and Pharrell Williams in attendance. During the announcement of International Group/Duo of the Year winner, singer Ke$ha and French choreographer Kamel Ouali mistakenly said that Black Eyed Peas got the prize.
Before the group went onto the stage and were handed the award, Kamel apologized, telling the crowd who booed him and Ke$ha that the winner and the nominees were all put on the card and he had read the wrong name. They then revealed that it were Tokio Hotel who got the trophy.
Losing the International Group/Duo of the Year title to the Bill Kaulitz-fronted band, the Hip-Hop group consisting of will.i.am, Stacy Ferguson, Taboo and apl.de.ap still managed to walk away with one gong and avoided any further embarrassment. Their hit single "I Gotta Feeling" won International Song of the Year, which went to Rihanna last year but was mistakenly handed out to Katy Perry.
Other winners at the Saturday event included Lady GaGa, Rihanna, David Guetta and Robbie Williams. GaGa got International Revelation of the Year, Rihanna took home International Female Artist of the Year, Guetta received International Album of the Year, while Williams swept International Male Artist of the Year and NRJ Award of Honor, the latter honor was also given to Beyonce Knowles.
Complete Winners List of 2010 NRJ Music Awards:
- Francophone Revelation of the Year: Florent Mothe
- International Revelation of the Year: Lady GaGa
- Francophone Female Artist of the Year: Sofia Essaidi
- International Female Artist of the Year: Rihanna
- Francophone Male Artist of the Year: Christophe Willem
- International Male Artist of the Year: Robbie Williams
- Francophone Group/Duo of the Year: Mozart l'Opera Rock
- International Group/Duo of the Year: Tokio Hotel
- Francophone Song of the Year: "L'Assasymphonie" - Florent Mothe (Mozart l'Opera Rock)
- International Song of the Year: "I Gotta Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas
- Francophone Album of the Year: "Cafeine" - Christophe Willem
- International Album of the Year: "One Love" - David Guetta
- Song Most Downloaded of the Year in France: "Ca m'enerve" - Helmut Fritz
- NRJ Award of Honor: Robbie Williams and Beyonce Knowles