A representative for Snyder clarifies that the 'Man of Steel' helmer 'is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars' though the director is a 'huge fan' of the franchise.
Earlier on Monday, January 14, there was an Internet frenzy as news broke out that Zack Snyder was preparing a new "Star Wars" movie that had no connection to the upcoming trilogy. Quickly responding to the gossip, Snyder's rep released a statement to clarify that the "Man of Steel" helmer was not working on the space saga franchise.
To The Hollywood Reporter, the rep claimed, "While he is super-flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia [now known as '300: Rise of an Empire']." The rep confirmed that Snyder wouldn't work in Episode VII, VIII, IX or any spin-off of "Star Wars".
Previously, Vulture sparked the rumor as it reported that the "Sucker Punch" helmer worked on a "Star Wars" pic. The said project, however, was not designed as part of the planned new trilogy, but it would be some kind of a spin-off which would be in the vein of Japanese classic "The Seven Samurai".
Back in November, Snyder pointed out that he wouldn't do the project though he's a massive fan of the famous space tale. "I don't think I'd be interested in [directing it]," he told L.A. Times. "I'm a huge 'Star Wars' fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It's a whole other mythological experiment I'm excited to see, but it's a lot of effort."
Walt Disney/LucasFilm is currently developing "Star Wars Episode 7" for a 2015 release. It has tapped Oscar winner Michael Ardnt as its screenwriter, but is still looking for a right director.