February 02, 2009 08:40:07 GMT
Javier Fesser's 'Camino' swept the 23rd Goya Awards, collecting six kudos, while Benicio del Toro and Penelope Cruz each won Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress respectively.
Winners of the 23rd Annual Goya Awards, Spain's equivalent of the Academy Awards, have been announced on Sunday, February 1 and "Camino" has come up as the big winner. The Javier Fesser's film about a young girl's death, her mother's staunch Catholic beliefs and the Church's effort to canonize the girl collected six awards, including the coveted prize, Best Film.
Apart from the Best Film prize, the movie also brought home kudos for director and writer Javier Fesser as the fimmaker was awarded with Best Director and Best Original Screenplay. Additionally, its actresses, Carmen Elias and Nerea Camacho, and actor Jordi Dauder have been hailed Best Actress, Breakthrough Actress and Best Supporting Actor in respective order.
and have also scored an award each. del Toro won the Best Actor title for his performance in "", while Cruz was hailed Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Maria Elena in "". Upon receiving her award, Cruz said, "I've always been a fan of , and that my peers honor me for a Spanish film made by him makes me very happy. Thanks, Woody, for believing in me."
The gala ceremony of the 23rd Goya Awards was broadcast on pubcaster Radio Television Espanola's first channel, on a one-hour delay.
Complete winners list of the 23rd Annual Goya Awards:
- Film: "Camino"
- Actress: Carmen Elias, "Camino"
- Actor: , ""
- Director: Javier Fesser, "Camino"
- European Film: "4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days" (Christian Mungiu, Romania)
- Foreign Spanish-Language Film: "" (Andres Wood, Chile-Spain)
- Supporting Actress: , ""
- Supporting Actor: Jordi Dauder, "Camino"
- Original Screenplay: Javier Fesser, "Camino"
- Adapted Screenplay: Rafael Azcona, Jose Luis Cuerda, "The Blind Sunflowers"
- Cinematography: Paco Femenia, "Solo quiero caminar"
- Original Score: Roque Banos, ""
- Breakthrough Performance, Actor: Juan Manuel Montilla, "Langui"
- Breakthrough Performance, Actress: Nerea Camacho, "Camino"
- First-Time Director: Santiago Zannou, "El truco del manco"
- Live-Action Short Film: "Miente", Isabel de Ocampo
- Animated Short Film: "La increible historia del hombre sin sombra", Jose Esteban Alenda
- Documentary Short: "Heroes: No hace falta alas para volar", Angel Loza
- Costume Design: Lala Huete, "El Greco"
- Art Direction: Antxon Gomez, ""
- Editing: Alejandro Lazaro, ""
- Sound: Daniel de Zayas, Javier Marin, Maite Rivera, "Before the Fall"
- Makeup and Hair Design: Jose Quetglas
- Special Effects: Raul Romanillos, Pau Costa, Jose Quetglas, Eduardo Diaz, Chema Remacha, "Mortadelo and Filemon: Mission Save the Earth"
- Line Production: Rosa Romero, ""
- Original Song: "A tientas", El Truco del Manco, Woulfranck Zannou, Juan Manuel Montilla "El Langui"
- Documentary: "Bucarest, la memoria perdida", Bausan Films, Minimal Films, TVG
- Animated Feature: "The Missing Lynx", Kandor Graphics, Green Moon, Perro Verde
- Lifetime Achievement: Jesus Franco