Despite a flop in U.S. sales, Britney Spears' 'Blackout' was voted as International Album of the Year at the French music awards.
Britney Spears' 'Blackout' album may be accepted mildly Stateside, but it took a coveted titled at the French NRJ Music Awards as it was announced as 'International Album of the Year', beating Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black', James Blunt's 'All the Lost Souls', Mika's 'Life in Cartoon Motion' and Rihanna's 'Good Girl Gone Bad'.
The ninth NRJ music awards that was held in Cannes, France on Saturday, January 26 also listed other International figures as the winners. Avril Lavigne and Justin Timberlake were named International Female Artist of the Year and International Male Artist of the Year respectively while Mika took home the award for International Revelation of the Year.
Rihanna who attended the event wearing gray gown went home with International Song of the Year for her hit 'Don't Stop the Music'. Colorful-dressed Kylie Minogue who was also in attendance, received a special honor alongside Celine Dion and Michael Jackson.
Winehouse was due to perform at the event but because of her admittance to rehab on Thursday (January 24), it was immediately canceled.
Apart from honoring International act, the award also recognizes achievement of their local artists. NRJ Music Awards launched first in 2000, in partnership of NRJ radio station and TF1 TV network. It is conducted annually with winners determined by a vote from public that makes 75 per cent and from a panel of jury that round it up with the remaining 25 per cent.
Winners of 2008 NRJ Music Awards:
- Francophone Revelation of the Year : Christophe Willem
- International Revelation of the Year : Mika
- Francophone Female Artist of the Year : Jenifer
- International Female Artist of the Year : Avril Lavigne
- Francophone Male Artist of the Year : Christophe Mae
- International Male Artist of the Year : Justin Timberlake
- Francophone Group/Duo of the Year : Superbus
- International Group/Duo of the Year : Tokio Hotel
- International Song of the Year : Rihanna - 'Don't Stop The Music'
- Francophone Album of the Year : Christophe Willem - 'Inventaire'
- International Album of the Year : Britney Spears - 'Blackout'
- Francophone Song of the Year : Christophe Mae - 'On s'attache'
- Music Video of the Year : Fatal Bazooka - Parle a ma main
- NRJ Award of Honor : Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, and Kylie Minogue