The Academy confirms that the Oscar nominees will be revealed on January 10, 2013 to give more time to voters to see all the nominated movies.
The key dates for the 85th annual Academy Awards have been officially revealed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Tuesday, September 18. With the announcement, it was confirmed that the Oscar nominations would be unveiled on January 10, 2013, five days earlier than previously scheduled.
The new schedule will put Oscar nominations announcement ahead of the Golden Globe Awards, which is set to air live on January 13. Previously, the Oscar nominees were always revealed after the Globes held its prize-giving ceremony.
The AMPAS also confirmed that it would give its membership the opportunity to vote electronically for the first time. The organization would be assisted by voting stations in Los Angeles, New York and London, as well as a 24-hour telephone help line during the voting periods.
Explaining the newly-adjusted Oscars calendar, Academy COO Ric Robertson told The Wrap that the decision was taken to give both voters and viewers more time to see the 40 or 50 nominated movies.
"Over the last couple of months, we've talked a lot about the pros and cons of extending the window between the nominations announcement and the show," he explained. "The key is that we're trying to give our members, and the public, as much time as possible to see the nominated films."
Assuring the security of the online voting system, Robertson said, "We're taking extraordinary measures and we're very confident that we're taking every step imaginable to insure the security and confidentiality of our vote." He added that he didn't think the new voting method "will change the level of member participation, and we hope that in the long run it will increase it."
The 85th Annual Academy Awards will be held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood & Highland Center on February 24, 2013. It will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide by the ABC Television Network.
Key Dates for the 85th Academy Awards:
- Friday, November 30, 2012: Official Screen Credits due
- Saturday, December 1, 2012: Governors Awards presentation
- Monday, December 17, 2012: Nominations voting begins
- Thursday, January 3, 2013: Nominations voting ends 5 P.M. PT
- Thursday, January 10, 2013: Nominations announced 5:30 A.M. PT, Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater
- Monday, February 4, 2013: Nominees Luncheon
- Friday, February 8, 2013: Final voting begins
- Saturday, February 9, 2013: Scientific and Technical Awards presentation
- Tuesday, February 19, 2013: Final voting ends 5 P.M. PT
- Sunday, February 24, 2013: 85th Academy Awards presentation