'Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire' leads the pack of winners with five gongs, helping Gabourey Sidibe and Lee Daniels to win Best Female Lead kudo and Best Director award respectively.
Independent films have been honored at the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards which was held on Friday, March 5. "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" has once again proven itself as a great work as it took prizes in all five categories that it was nominated for.
"Precious" star Mo'Nique was among the early winners that night, picking up the Best Supporting Female kudo. She later shared the joy with co-star Gabourey Sidibe who was named Best Female Lead. Landing the coveted Best Feature award, the drama also led its director Lee Daniels and screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher to grab Best Director gong and Best First Screenplay kudo respectively.
Also collecting multiple awards that night were "Crazy Heart" and "A Serious Man". The drama musical came out as the winner in Best First Feature category and aided its actor Jeff Bridges to win Best Male Lead award. The comedy, in the meantime, grabbed Best Cinematography kudo and Robert Altman Award.
Full Winners List of the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards:
- Best Feature (Award given to the Producer): "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best Director: Lee Daniels - "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best First Feature (Award given to the director and producer): "Crazy Heart"
- John Cassavetes Award (Given to the best feature made for under $500,000; award given to the writer, director, and producer): "Humpday"
- Best Screenplay: Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber - "500 Days of Summer"
- Best First Screenplay: Geoffrey Fletcher - "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best Female Lead: Gabourey Sidibe - "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best Male Lead: Jeff Bridges - "Crazy Heart"
- Best Supporting Female: Mo'Nique, "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire"
- Best Supporting Male: Woody Harrelson, "The Messenger"
- Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins - "A Serious Man"
- Best Documentary (Award given to the director): "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"
- Best Foreign Film: Lone Scherfig - "An Education"
- Robert Altman Award (Given to one film's director, casting director, and its ensemble cast): "A Serious Man"
- Piaget Producers Award: Karen Chien ("The Exploding Girl" & "Santa Mesa")
- Someone to Watch Award: Kyle Patrick Alvarez ("Easier with Practice")
- Truer Than Fiction Award: Bill Ross & Turner Ross ("45365")