March 06, 2010 06:59:53 GMT
'Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire' leads the pack of winners with five gongs, helping Gabourey Sidibe and Lee Daniels to win Best Female Lead kudo and Best Director award respectively.
Independent films have been honored at the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards which was held on Friday, March 5. "" has once again proven itself as a great work as it took prizes in all five categories that it was nominated for.
"Precious" star was among the early winners that night, picking up the Best Supporting Female kudo. She later shared the joy with co-star who was named Best Female Lead. Landing the coveted Best Feature award, the drama also led its director Lee Daniels and screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher to grab Best Director gong and Best First Screenplay kudo respectively.
Also collecting multiple awards that night were "" and "". The drama musical came out as the winner in Best First Feature category and aided its actor to win Best Male Lead award. The comedy, in the meantime, grabbed Best Cinematography kudo and Robert Altman Award.
Full Winners List of the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards:
- Best Feature (Award given to the Producer): ""
- Best Director: Lee Daniels - ""
- Best First Feature (Award given to the director and producer): ""
- John Cassavetes Award
(Given to the best feature made for under $500,000; award given to the writer, director, and producer): ""
- Best Screenplay: Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber - ""
- Best First Screenplay: Geoffrey Fletcher - ""
- Best Female Lead: - ""
- Best Male Lead: - ""
- Best Supporting Female: , ""
- Best Supporting Male: , "The Messenger"
- Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins - ""
- Best Documentary (Award given to the director): "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"
- Best Foreign Film: Lone Scherfig - ""
- Robert Altman Award (Given to one film's director, casting director, and its ensemble cast): ""
- Piaget Producers Award: Karen Chien ("The Exploding Girl" & "Santa Mesa")
- Someone to Watch Award: Kyle Patrick Alvarez ("Easier with Practice")
- Truer Than Fiction Award: Bill Ross & Turner Ross ("45365")
More Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire News: