Queen, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and Venom each get a special award in the annual Brit magazine music awards.
Veteran rock and heavy metal bands Queen, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Pantera and Venom were honored at the 2013 Kerrang! Awards held at London's Troxy Club on Thursday night. The British magazine, through its annual music awards, gave each of them a special award, along with recognizing this year's top current acts.
Queen was honored that night for their "Service to Rock", with their career spanning more than 40 years giving the music industry eighteen No. 1 albums and singles and ten No.1 DVDs. Meanwhile, Pantera was inducted into the Kerrang Hall of Fame after last year's inductee Machine Head and past honorees Korn and Motley Crue. For their individual awards, Iron Maiden walked off with the Kerrang! Inspiration Award, Venom with the Kerrang! Icon Award and Slayer with the Kerrang! Legend Award.
Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen paid respects to their late frontman Freddie Mercury while Pantera's Phil Anselmo paid tribute to the legacy of band mate Darrell Abbott who was shot dead onstage in 2004. Slayer's guitarist Kerry King reassured everyone with "Slayer is alive and strong," after founding member Jeff Hannemen passed away to alcohol-related illness last month.
Apart from honoring legendary acts and their contribution to music, the awards show also recognized current acts such as Fall Out Boy, winning Best Single for "The Phoenix," and Biffy Clyro, bagging the Best Album prize for "Opposites". Best Live Band award went to Black Veil Brides while Best International Newcomer was Of Mice and Men.
Full winners list of 2013 Kerrang! Awards:
- Best Single: "The Phoenix", Fall Out Boy
- Best Album: "Opposites", Biffy Clyro
- Best Male: Ben Bruce, Asking Alexandria
- Best Female: Lzzy Hale, Halestorm
- Best Live Band: Black Veil Brides
- Best British Band: Bring Me the Horizon
- Best British Newcomer: Lower Than Atlantis
- Best International Newcomer: Of Mice & Men
- Relentless Award: Young Guns
- Best Video: "King For a Day" - Pierce the Vail (feat. Kellin Quinn)
- Best Event: "The Final Night of Sin" - You Me At Six
- Best Festival: Download
- Tweeter of the Year: Gerard Way, My Chemical Romance
- Hall of Fame: Pantera
- Kerrang! Inspiration Award: Iron Maiden
- Kerrang! Icon Award: Venom
- Kerrang! Legend Award: Slayer
- Service to Rock: Queen