The 'King of Country' stresses that he is not retiring from the music industry despite claiming that 'I've decided I'm not going to tour anymore after the next two years.'
George Strait has decided to call it quits with touring. On Wednesday, September 26, the "King of Country" held a press conference at the Country Music Hall of Fame to announce his final tour, but stressed that it didn't mean he would retire from the industry.
"It's been a hard decision for me to make, but as far as touring goes, I've decided I'm not going to tour anymore after the next two years," he explained. "Don't think I'm retiring because I'm not. I'm still going to make records as long as [his label chief] Mike [Dungan] will let me."
The "Unwound" singer went on sharing, "I'm going to write, and after two years, when I've quit touring, if a special event comes up that I want to do, by all means I will do it, but as far as a structured tour goes, at the last date of 2014 goes, that will be it for touring."
The Texan star also announced his last tour dates that would kick off in his Texas hometown on January 18, 2013 and finish sometime in 2014. The dates for 2014 have yet to be announced. The tour itself would be called "The Cowboy Rides Away".
Explaining the name of his upcoming tour, Strait said, "It's kind of an obvious play on words, I think." He continued, "I couldn't think of a song that would be any better. It's a song that we have closed our shows with for years."
"This is going to be a very special, emotional tour for me," said the 60-year-old country legend. "Everywhere we're going holds fond memories, and I'm looking forward to paying my respects."
Strait's 2013 leg tour would have CMA Female Vocalist of the Year, Martina McBride, serving as the opener. Of getting involved in the gig, McBride said, "Any artist would be thrilled to get this phone call. With all of the amazing artists that George could have chosen from, the fact that he asked me back after our tour last year means the world to me personally."
Tickets for Strait's "The Cowboy Rides Away" tour will be available for Strait's fan club members from October 9 at 10 A.M. in the venue's respective time zone. They will later be available for general public on October 12. More details can be obtained on George Strait official site.
"The Cowboy Rides Away" 2013 Tour Dates:
- January 18: Lubbock, Texas (United Spirit Arena)
- January 19: Oklahoma City, Okla. (Chesapeake Energy Arena)
- January 25: Salt Lake City, Utah (Energy Solutions Arena)
- January 26: Nampa, Idaho (Idaho Center)
- January 31: Sacramento, Calif. (Power Balance Pavilion)
- February 1: Fresno, Calif. Save Marcht Center)
- February 2: Las Vegas, Nev. MGM Grand Garden Arena)
- February 15: St. Paul, Minn. Xcel Energy Center)
- February 16: Grand Forks, N.D. The Alerus Center)
- February 22: Buffalo, N.Y. First Niagara Center)
- February 23: Hartford, Conn. XL Center)
- March 1: Knoxville, Tenn. Thompson-Boling Arena)
- March 2: Lexington, Ky. Rupp Arena)
- March 17: Houston, Texas (Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
- March 22: Greenville, S.C. (Bi-Lo Center)
- March 23: Greensboro, N.C. (Greensboro Coliseum Complex)
- April 5: Albuquerque, N.M. (The Pit)
- April 6: Las Cruces, N.M. (Pan American Center)
- April 12: N. Little Rock, Ark. (Verizon Arena)
- April 13: New Orleans, La. (New Orleans Aren)
- June 1: San Antonio, Texas (Alamodome)