AceShowbiz - Armie Hammer is taking a concrete action to get better after being plagued with cannibalism scandal and sexual abuse allegations. The actor has reportedly checked into rehab in Florida to get treatment for several addiction issues.
The "Call Me by Your Name" star, who had been staying in the Cayman Islands since March, reportedly departed from the Grand Cayman airport on Saturday, May 29 and checked himself into an in-patient facility outside of Orlando on May 31. He has been staying there since then and has agreed to stay as long as it takes to get healthy, according to Vanity Fair which first reported the news.
Armie seeks treatment for drug, alcohol and sex issues, said three sources. His estranged wife Elizabeth Chambers and family are said to be supportive of his decision. The 34-year-old actor allegedly informed Elizabeth about his plan to seek treatment in late May and she, along with their kids, even dropped him off at the facility.
"Elizabeth and kids dropp[ed] him off and walk[ed] in as far as allowed," one of the sources said of the family's emotional farewell. "A lot of hugs and seemed emotional."
A so-called close friend of Armie is optimistic that it's a start for his change for the better. "This is a clear sign that he is taking back control [of] his life and knows that this [is] a step towards his overall well being," the friend said.
The friend added, "Everyone looks at Armie thinking that he's had some sort of privileged life-and that must mean there were no problems in his youth and everything was peachy keen. But that's not necessarily the way things go." The same source explained, "Just because you come from an upbringing where financial resources are plentiful doesn't mean life isn't without problems."
While neither Armie's lawyer nor Elizabeth has responded to requests for comment on the report, a friend of the Hammer family confirmed that the great-grandson of oil tycoon Armand Hammer is "committed to getting healthy and having custody of his kids."
Armie's career and image has gone through a downfall after his alleged DMs, in which he described his sexual fantasies including cannibalism, were leaked in January of this year. Since then, multiple women came forward with sexual abuse allegations against him. In March, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed the actor was the subject of a sexual assault investigation.