Bernardo Bertolucci Slams Ridley Scott for Replacing Kevin Spacey in 'All the Money in the World'
WENN/SHOTPRESS/FayesVision
Movie

The 'Last Tango in Paris' director says he's disappointed with Scott for cutting Spacey's scenes following multiple claims of sexual harassment and assault against the 'House of Cards' actor.

AceShowbiz - Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci has said Ridley Scott "should be ashamed" for replacing Kevin Spacey in "All the Money in the World" following sexual harassment allegations. After multiple claims of sexual harassment and assault were made against the "House of Cards" actor late last year, the "Gladiator" director decided to cut Spacey's scenes from his upcoming film and recast Christopher Plummer in the role of billionaire J. Paul Getty.

Many have been supportive of Scott's decision, but controversial director Bertolucci made it clear that he was disappointed with Scott as he spoke at the premiere of his restored film "Last Tango in Paris" at the Bari International Film Festival in Italy over the weekend (April 28-29).

"When I learned that Ridley Scott had agreed to eliminate the scenes of 'All the Money in the World' in which Kevin Spacey was playing, I sent a message to editor Pietro Scalia to tell Scott that he should be ashamed," he said, referring to Scott's frequent collaborator, adding that the British filmmaker just succumbed to pressure from the public and gave in to industry demands. He also added that he "immediately wanted to make a film" with Spacey after hearing about him being erased from the film.

Bertolucci, who also praised the #MeToo movement for bringing awareness to violence against women, was presented with the Federico Fellini Platinum lifetime achievement award at the festival.

The 77-year-old was caught up in controversy in 2016 after video of a 2013 interview emerged in which he revealed he withheld details about "Last Tango in Paris" infamous butter rape scene from its star Maria Schneider so she would appear more shocked when it happened in the actual shoot. The actress, who passed away in 2011, previously revealed that she "felt a little raped" by her co-star Marlon Brando and the director, who later clarified that the only element she was not aware of was the use of butter.

Speaking on the controversy again at the festival, he said, "On the set, she was happy... Do not believe on social media when they say it was rape: The butter scene was pure simulation."

You can share this post!

Related Posts