Organizers Stand by Elton John in Morocco Concert Ban


Elton John
Forced to drop out of a music festival after calling Jesus 'gay', the singer receives a support from the event's director who said his personal life has nothing to do with the concert.


Elton John will perform as scheduled at an upcoming music festival in Morocco after organizers defied calls from the country's Islamic politicians to ban the openly-gay star from the event. The "Rocket Man" found himself at the center of controversy on Friday, May 7 when members of the Islamist Justice and Development Party called for the singer to be dropped from the Mawazine festival line-up - because of his sexuality.

The activists feel his appearance will "undermine the respect of privacy" and "breach certain values that the international Mawazine festival is based on". Critics also feared John's presence would present "a risk of encouraging homosexuality in Morocco".

But event artistic director Aziz Daki is standing by John. He tells AFP, "At the Mawazine festival we invite artists on the basis of the quality of their performance on stage and according to their artistic career. (Elton John is) one of the world's top pop singers and composers.... (He has) many fans in Morocco. His private life is none of our business."

The Mawazine festival, which will also feature Julio Iglesias and Carlos Santana, will take place in the capital of Rabat from May 21 to May 29.

Just last week, John fell foul of officials in Egypt after controversial comments he made about Jesus Christ and the Middle East in a recent magazine article led to a decision banning him from performing in the country. In a Parade interview, which was published in America in February, Elton suggested Jesus was a "super-intelligent gay man" and then took aim at the Middle East, stating, "Try being a gay woman in the Middle East - you're as good as dead." His May 18 show was canceled as a result.

© AceShowbiz.com


MORE FROM NEWS
Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with *

  random image 
TODAY'S HEADLINES
  1. Kim Kardashian to Co-Host 'Live' With Ryan Seacrest
  2. George Clooney's Wife Amal Looks Skeletal Just Weeks After Welcoming Twins
  3. Leah Remini Slams 'Diabolical' Tom Cruise, Says He's Not a Good Person
  4. Samuel L. Jackson Returns for 'Shaft' Sequel, Jessie T. Usher Lands Lead Role
  5. These Two Horror Directors in Contention for 'Justice League Dark'
  6. Tiger Woods and Katharine McPhee Threaten to Sue Porn Site After Nude Photos Leak
  7. 'Super Troopers 2' Set for 2018, Official Synopsis Revealed
  8. Porn Site Offers to Produce 'Sense8' Season 3
  9. Say What?! Prince William and Harry Have Cameos in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
  10. Chris Pine and Former Fling Olivia Munn May Rekindle Their Romance