February 07, 2013 06:57:19 GMT
The 'Die Hard' actor expresses his concern that the new laws could infringe on Second Amendment rights and says he didn't believe there's a link between the mass shootings and Hollywood movies.
Bruce Willis gets tongues wagging. While many celebrities support gun control in the wake tragic mass shootings in Colorado and Connecticut last year, the 57-year-old action movie veteran is against the new gun control laws proposed by President Obama.
"I think that you can't start to pick apart anything out of the Bill of Rights without thinking that it's all going to become undone," he tells The Associated Press. "If you take one out or change one law, then why wouldn't they take all your rights away from you?"
The "Die Hard" actor blames the massacre on mental health and he didn't think the new laws could prevent it. "I don't know how you legislate insanity. I don't know what you do about it," the father of four says. "I don't even know how you begin to stop that."
He also dismisses suggestion that Hollywood movies were to blame for what happened. "No one commits a crime because they saw a film. There's nothing to support that," he insists. "We're not making movies about people that have gone berserk, or gone nuts. Those kind of movies wouldn't last very long at all."
Sylvester Stallone, his co-star in "The Expendables", voiced similar opinions. The actor, who supported the 1994 effort to ban assault weapons, now changes his tune. "I know people get (upset) and go, 'They're going to take away the assault weapon.' Who ... needs an assault weapon? Like really, unless you're carrying out an assault. ... You can't hunt with it. ... Who's going to attack your house, a (expletive) army?" he says.
"I think the biggest problem, seriously, is not so much guns as it is that every single one of these people that have done these things in the past 30 years are crazy, really crazy," Stallone tells BBC. "And that's where we've dropped the ball. Mental health."
Meanwhile, among those who back the gun control was Chris Rock. "I am just here to support the President of the United States," he said in a press conference in Washington, DC. "The president and the first lady are kind of like the mom and the dad of the country, and when your dad says something, you listen! And when you don't, it usually bites you in the a** later on."
In a similar tune, Adam Scott said, "Along with thousands of other Americans that day, I felt helpless. These shootings are rapidly becoming part of our culture, something you almost anticipate hearing about when you turn on your television or your computer. But this one, it was clear to me ... that if we as a people don't act after Sandy Hook, then what's next? ... We're asking Congress to follow the president's lead and act responsibly."
Tony Bennett couldn't agree more. "I still haven't gotten over Connecticut," the 86-year-old crooner said. "I'd like the assault weapons to go to war, not on our own country, and I'd like assault weapons eliminated."
Jim Carrey, meanwhile, took to Twitter to share his thoughts, "Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting." After criticized by Fox News, he wrote, "Yes, i agree with the ppl who argue that cars can be as deadly as guns but a car is a lot harder to get through the door of a classroom."