Before announcing the 10 boys and 10 girls who make it to Los Angeles, executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe makes a little speech and cuts a cake in celebration of the show's 200th episode.
"So You Think You Can Dance" reached a milestone with its latest episode, which marked the 200th outing of the reality show. To celebrate it, executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe made a speech and cut a big cake before the taping began.
The episode aired Wednesday, June 27 was also important for the contestants since it would be announced who make it to the Top 20. Making the night more special, "New Girl" star Zooey Deschanel was tapped as a guest judge while season 8 winner Melanie Moore sat among the audience.
After all dancers performed in a group of three or four, Alexa Anderson was called out first to learn her fate and became the first one who secured a spot in the Top 20. All three of her team mates, George Lawrence Jr., Will Thomas and Amber Jackson also received the good news. The unlucky ones, meanwhile, included Megan Branch, Colin Fuller and Devon McCollough.
Following the big reveal, the 10 female finalists danced together to "Where the Light Gets In" with the routine choreographed by Travis Wall. As for the 10 guys' dance to "Steed Lord", it was choreographed by Sonya Tayeh. All 20 finalists then performed a Mia Michaels-choreographed routine together.
"SYTYCD" won't air next week on July 4, but will return a week later on July 11.
Top 20 of "So You Think You Can Dance" season 9:
- Alexa Anderson, 19 (Contemporary)
- Amber Jackson, 21 (Contemporary)
- Amelia Lowe, 18 (Contemporary)
- Audrey Case, 18 (Jazz)
- Brandon Mitchell, 27 (Stepping)
- Cheyon Wespi-Tschopp, 23 (Ballet)
- Cole Horibe, 26 (Martial Arts Fusion)
- Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer, 22 (Animation)
- Daniel Baker, 24 (Ballet)
- Dareian "Dare" Kujawa, 20 (Contemporary)
- Eliana Girard, 21 (Contemporary Ballet & aerialist)
- George Lawrence II, 19 (Contemporary)
- Janaya French, 20 (Lyrical Contemporary)
- Janelle Issis, 24 (Belly Dancing)
- Lindsay Arnold, 18 (Latin Ballroom)
- Matthew Kazmierczak, 21 (Contemporary)
- Nick Bloxsom-Carter, 20 (Ballroom)
- Tiffany Maher, 19 (Jazz)
- Will Thomas, 19 (Contemporary)
- Witney Carson, 18 (Latin Ballroom)