'A Prophet' swept nine of the gongs presented at the show, helping its actor Tahar Rahim and director Jacques Audiard to receive two prizes and one kudo respectively.
"A Prophet" has come home victorious at the 35th Annual Cesar Awards. Being nominated in thirteen categories, the film managed to land nine kudos, two of which were presented to its star Tahar Rahim. The 18-year-old won best actor and breakthrough performance for his role as a 19-year-old small-time hood who becomes a Mafia kingpin behind bars.
His co-star Niels Arestrup, in the meantime, was named best supporting actor. Additionally, the film has aided its helmer Jacques Audiard to receive best director award. This drama movie got the other gongs from original screenplay, cinematography, sound, editing as well as set design categories.
In the foreign film category, Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" beat James Cameron's "Avatar" and Cannes Palme d'Or winner "The White Ribbon". The event, which was held on Saturday, February 27 in Paris, also handed out an honorary Cesar to Harrison Ford.
Full Winners List of the 35th Annual Cesar Awards
- Director: Jacques Audiard - "A Prophet"
- Actor: Tahar Rahim - "A Prophet"
- Actress: Isabelle Adjani - "Skirt Day"
- Breakthrough Performance, Actor: Tahar Rahim - "A Prophet"
- Breakthrough Performance, Actress: Melanie Thierry - "One for the Road"
- Supporting Actor: Niels Arestrup - "A Prophet"
- Supporting Actress: Emmanuelle Devos - "At the Beginning"
- First Film: "The French Kissers" - Riad Sattouf
- Original Screenplay: Jacques Audiard, Thomas Bidegain, Abdel Raouf Dafri, Nicolas Peufaillit - "A Prophet"
- Adapted Screenplay: Stephane Brize, Florence Vignon - "Mademoiselle Chambon"
- Cinematography: Stephane Fontaine - "A Prophet"
- Foreign Film: "Gran Torino" - Clint Eastwood
- Original Score: Armand Amar - "The Concert"
- Costume Design: Catherine Leterrier - "Coco Before Chanel"
- Set Design: Michel Barthelemy - "A Prophet"
- Editing: Juliette Welfling - "A Prophet"
- Sound: Pierre Excoffier, Bruno Tarriere, Bruno Tarriere, Selim Azzazi - "A Prophet"
- Documentary Feature: "L'Enfer d'Henri" - Georges Clouzot, Serge Bromberg, Ruxandra Medrea
- Short: "C'est Gratuit Pour Les Filles", Claire Burger, Marie Amachoukel