Sam Worthington's sci-fi ' Avatar' is among the contenders to receive an award from the event as it is named among the nominees in Original Screenplay category.
The nominations for 2010 Writers Guild Awards have been unveiled on Monday, January 11. Among the list are James Cameron's "Avatar", Bradley Cooper-starring comedy "The Hangover", and Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker". The three movies will compete with "A Serious Man" and "500 Days of Summer" for Original Screenplay award.
"Star Trek" also has a place on the list as the J.J. Abrams-directed movie is nominated for Adapted Screenplay prize. It will be up against "Crazy Heart", "Julie & Julia", "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", and "Up in the Air", which receive nods for the same category.
The winners of the 2010 Writers Guild Awards will be announced during ceremonies, which will be held on February 20 simultaneously at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles and the Hudson Theatre at the Millennium Broadway Hotel in New York City. Beside honoring movies, the event will also present awards to TV, the nominations of which have been announced in December 2009.
Full List of 2010 WGA Awards Nominees in Movie:
- "500 Days of Summer" - Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
- "Avatar" - James Cameron
- "The Hangover" - Jon Lucas & Scott Moore
- "The Hurt Locker" - Mark Boal
- "A Serious Man" - Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
- "Crazy Heart" - screenplay by Scott Cooper
- "Julie & Julia" - screenplay by Nora Ephron
- "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" - screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher
- "Star Trek" - screenplay by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman
- "Up in the Air" - screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner
- "Against the Tide" - Richard Trank
- "Capitalism: A Love Story" - Michael Moore
- "The Cove" - Mark Monroe
- "Earth Days" - Robert Stone
- "Good Hair" - Chris Rock & Jeff Stilson and Lance Crouther and Chuck Sklar
- "Soundtrack for a Revolution" - Bill Guttentag & Dan Sturman