As the Oklahoma Film Critics Circle announced its 2nd Annual Awards winners, 'No Country for Old Men' is once more chosen to be 2007 Best Picture.
"No Country for Old Men" once again scored big as it took home three prizes from the Oklahoma Film Critics Circle. On OFCC second annual awards, the movie critics' favorite film was announced to be the Best Film 2007 and at the same event, its directors, Ethan and Joel Coen, and one of its stars, Javier Bardem, each garnered kudos for Best Director(s) and Best Supporting Actor.
Apart from the accomplishment of "No Country" getting multiple awards, the drama comedy "Juno" and the drama mystery "Gone Baby Gone" both snagged two awards. While "Juno" brought double prizes for Ellen Page for Best Actress and Breakout Performance, "Gone Baby Gone" earned Ben Affleck Best First Feature prize and Amy Ryan Best Supporting Actress award.
Concerning several winners, the founding president of the critics' organization Kathryn Jenson White remarked, "The honorees this year were pretty decided in all categories, but those who came in second were the favorites of many. Our voting system led to strong leads for 'Juno''s Ellen Page as both Best Actress and Breakout Performance. However, Julie Christie in 'Away From Her' had passionate support from several. While George Clooney's performance in 'Michael Clayton' was excellent, members pushed, too, for Philip Seymour Hoffman in 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' and Viggo Mortensen in 'Eastern Promises.'"
Unlike any other film critics, the OFCC also named films that disappointed aside from announcing the Best awards. This year, "Norbit" was given title of Obviously Worst Film, while "Youth Without Youth" and "Bee Movie" were tied for Not-So-Obviously Worst Film. Regarding the naming of the three films as the Worst ones, Jenson White said, "As professional moviegoers, we see many more unsuccessful films than successful ones. The Not-So-Obviously Worst Film category contains films that, as this year's choices show, have great talent behind them but contain some sort of fatal flaw."
The complete list of the winners of Oklahoma Film Critics Circle 2007 Film Awards:
Top Ten Films:
- "No Country for Old Men"
- "Michael Clayton"
- "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"
- "The King of Kong"
- "Gone Baby Gone"
- "Eastern Promises"
- Best Film of 2007: "No Country for Old Men"
- Best Director(s): Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
- Best First Feature: Ben Affleck, "Gone Baby Gone"
- Best Actress: Ellen Page, "Juno"
- Best Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
- Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
- Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
- Breakout Performance: Ellen Page, "Juno"
- Best Documentary: "The King of Kong"
- Best Foreign Film: "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
- Best Animated Film: "Ratatouille"
- Obviously Worst Film: "Norbit"
- Not-So-Obviously Worst Film: "Youth Without Youth"/"Bee Movie" (Tie)