Alfonso Cuaron and Seth Rogen Blast the Academy for Cutting 4 Categories From Oscars Telecast
WENN/Adriana M. Barraza
Movie

The Academy's decision to announce the winners of four categories, including cinematography and film editing, during commercial breaks have left some filmmakers furious.

AceShowbiz - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) has once again made a decision that sparked controversy. The Academy announced on Monday, February 11 that it would hand out the trophies for four categories during commercial breaks of the 2019 Oscars to keep the show's runtime to three hours and keep the event as streamlined as possible. Those four categories are cinematography, film editing, live-action short, and makeup and hairstyling.

Needless to say, the move has enraged filmmakers, with Best Director and Best Cinematography winner Alfonso Cuaron tweeting, "In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music. No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing." The "Roma" director is nominated for producing, directing, writing and cinematography this year.

Echoing the sentiment, Oscar winner Guillermo del Toro also posted on Twitter, "I would not presume to suggest what categories should occur during commercials on Oscars night, but, please: Cinematography & Editing are at the very heart of our craft. They are not inherited from a theatrical or literary tradition: they are cinema itself."

Actor/writer/director/producer Seth Rogen sarcastically wrote, "What better way to celebrate achievements in film than to not publicly honor the people's who's job it is to literally film things."

Russell Crowe also weighed in to the decision, slamming the Academy, "The Academy is removing cinematography, editing and make up from the televised show? This is just such a fundamentally stupid decision, I'm not even going to be bothered trying to be a smart a**e about it. It's just too f***ing dumb for words."

Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel, who is nominated for "Never Look Away" this year, told Variety, "Cinematography predates writing, directing, editing, music, and sound. Movies started with a guy cranking a camera. A cinematographer!"

Anton Yelchin's "Like Crazy" director Drake Doremus even called for a boycott on Oscars, calling the decision to leave out the four categories of broadcast "a disgrace."

Movie journalist Barry Hertz added, "In Memoriam: The 2019 Academy Awards -- because with the new move to present awards during commercials, the Oscars are dead."

Kees van Oostrum, president of American Society of Cinematographers, additionally said in a statement on Tuesday, "This decision could be perceived as a separation and division of this creative process, thus minimizing our fundamental creative contributions."

The Academy has not responded to the outrage. Academy president John Bailey previously explained the decision to hand out the awards during commercial breaks, "Viewing patterns for the Academy Awards are changing quickly in our current multi-media world, and our show must also evolve to successfully continue promoting motion pictures to a worldwide audience."

"As you may remember, last summer the Academy's Board of Governors committed to airing a three-hour show. I want to reiterate however, that all 24 Academy Award-winning presentations will be included in the broadcast. We believe we have come up with a great way to do this, and keep the show to three hours."

He continued, "While still honoring the achievements of all 24 awards on the Oscars, four categories - Cinematography, Film Editing, Live Action Short, and Makeup and Hairstyling - will be presented during commercial breaks, with their winning speeches aired later in the broadcast."

People previously criticized the Academy's decision to tap Kevin Hart as the host despite his old homophobic remarks. The comedian has since stepped down, leaving the upcoming February 24 ceremony without a host.

You can share this post!

Related Posts