Celebrities took to social media to send messages of support to the people of Barcelona following an apparent terror attack on Thursday that killed at least 13 people and left more than 100 injured.
Spanish actor Banderas posted a message that read, "Fundidos en un abrazo con #Barcelona." It's translated as, "Fused in a hug #Barcelona.(sic)"
Fundidos en un abrazo con #Barcelona.— Antonio Banderas (@antoniobanderas) August 17, 2017
Miranda dubbed the tragedy "heartbreaking." The "Hamilton" creator sent "all prayers and thoughts in Barcelona this morning."
All prayers and thoughts in Barcelona this morning. Heartbreaking.— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) August 17, 2017
"Frozen" voice actor Menzel tweeted, "Sending love to my friends in Barcelona. Feeling helpless."
Sending love to my friends in Barcelona. Feeling helpless.— Idina Menzel (@idinamenzel) August 17, 2017
Other celebrities sharing similar messages of support to the people of Barcelona included Mayim Bialik, Elijah Wood, Tim Burgess, Jake T. Austin as well as soccer player Gareth Bale and tennis ace Rafael Nadal.
"The Big Bang Theory" star posted a dazzling picture of the Spanish city and wrote, "My heart is with [Barcelona]." "Lord of the Rings" star Wood similarly said that his "heart is with Barcelona."
My heart is with Barcelona.— Elijah Wood (@elijahwood) August 17, 2017
English singer-songwriter Burgess sent love to the "beautiful" city, tweeting, "Sending love to Barcelona. Beautiful people and a beautiful city. Such heartbreaking times."
Sending love to Barcelona. Beautiful people and a beautiful city. Such heartbreaking times x x pic.twitter.com/Onj9BGHTK6— Tim Burgess (@Tim_Burgess) August 17, 2017
"The Fosters" actor shared a powerful message as writing, "Now is the time that we must come together and put an end to the senseless violence. Stay strong. Te amo mucho #Barcelona."
Now is the time that we must come together and put an end to the senseless violence. Stay strong. Te amo mucho #Barcelona 🇪🇸❤️🙏🏽— Jake T. Austin (@JakeTAustin) August 17, 2017
Bale tweeted, "Thoughts are with everyone in Barcelona tonight," while Nadal said in a translated post that his heart's "shattered by what has happened in Barcelona! All my support to affected families and the city."
Thoughts are with everyone in Barcelona tonight 🙏🏼— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale11) August 17, 2017
Destrozado por lo que ha ocurrido en Barcelona! Todo mi apoyo a las familias afectadas y a la ciudad.— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 17, 2017
According to multiple reports, the alleged terror attack took place in the Las Ramblas promenade in the center of the Spanish city. Authorities reported at least 13 people have died and more than 100 have been injured after a white van plowed into dozens of pedestrians in the historic district.
That death toll could rise, as at least 15 of the people hurt were in critical condition. Authorities said they're treating the incident as a terror attack. "We confirm the terrorist attack," Catalan police said. "The protocol for terrorist attacks has been activated." The Islamic State later claimed responsibility for the incident.
Two suspects have been arrested as of now, said Carles Puigdemont, the president of Catalonia. At least one of the suspects had been hiding in the Turkish restaurant Luna de Istanbul in the center of the city, according to Spanish newspaper El Periodico.