These new additions will take such roles as a powerful religious leader in King's Landing, Prince Oberyn Martell's brother and daughters.
"Game of Thrones" introduced the new faces in season 5 when taking over Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center during Comic-Con International on Friday, July 25. Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weis unveiled a video where new cast members such as Jonathan Pryce and Alexander Siddig reveal their roles and share their excitement to be part of the show.
Pryce will play the High Sparrow, a powerful religious leader in King's Landing. Siddig is cast as Doran Martell, the older brother of the late Prince Oberyn Martell. The casting news also includes a recasting of Myrcella Baratheon, Cersei's daughter, who was previously portrayed by Aimee Richardson.
Many of the new characters are Prince Oberyn's relatives as the show will shift part of its focus to the Kingdom of Dorne following the gruesome death of the Red Viper. The Dorne scenes will be largely shot in Spain.
Also at the panel, they shared a bloopers reel from season 4. The panelist, which also included "Thrones" book author George R.R. Martin, as well as stars Kit Harington, Sophie Turner, Natalie Dormer, Maisie Williams, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendoline Christie, Rory McCann, Pedro Pascal, John Bradley and Rose Leslie, didn't say much about season 5, but the showrunners said that Stannis Baratheon would play a significant role in the next installment after helping the Night's Watch in the battle against the wildlings.
New cast members of "Game of Thrones" and their roles:
- Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow: "A devout and pious man, the High Sparrow came to King's Landing to serve those forgotten by much of the world-the poor, the downtrodden and the infirm-and quickly amassed a large following. His fellow believers have swarmed over the city, ministering to the lowest and decrying the corruption of the highest."
- Alexander Siddig as Doran Martell: "Doran Martell is the ruling lord of Dorne and older brother to the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Unlike his brother, Doran is even-tempered and deliberate. Now, all of Dorne waits to see how their lord will react to his brother's death."
- Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand: "A fearsome warrior, Obara Sand is the eldest bastard daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Her mother was a Dornish peasant girl who caught the eye of the late Prince."
- Jessica Henwick as Nymeria "Nym" Sand: "Nym Sand is the second eldest of the late Prince Oberyn's bastard daughters. Her mother was an Eastern noblewoman who brought Nym up to be cultured, graceful and deadly with a whip."
- Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand: "Tyene Sand is the daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell by Ellaria Sand, his final paramour. Tyene is fiercer than she looks, especially with her twin daggers."
- Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell: "Trystane Martell is Prince Doran's son and heir to Dorne. His father betrothed him to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister, then Hand of the King."
- Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon: "Myrcella Baratheon is officially the eldest child of Cersei Lannister and the late King Robert Baratheon, though in truth her father is Cersei's own brother, Jaime Lannister. For years, she has been a guest and ward of Prince Doran, betrothed to his son, but her position has become tenuous with the death of Oberyn Martell, the Prince's brother."
- DeObia Oparei as Areo Hotah: "Areo Hotah is the long-serving captain of Doran Martell's palace guard, renowned for his loyalty and his longaxe."
- Enzo Cilenti as Yezzan: "Yezzan was an extremely wealthy slave trader before Daenerys Targaryen outlawed the slave trade."
"Game of Thrones" Introduces New Cast Members for Season 5:
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 Bloopers: