August 21, 2009 03:19:52 GMT
Meet the people with inspiring stories who want to get a second shot at life by shedding some pounds off their bodies.
Sixteen overweight people get the second chance at life through "" season 8. The reality show has announced the individuals who will compete in losing their body mass index and start a new chapter of their lives at the same time. "We looked for big personalities who are willing to inspire others," casting executive Allison Kaz said in TV Guide's August 24 issue. "They're tired of the life they're living."
The kind of "second chance" here varies in its essence. Abby Rike lost her husband and two children in a deadly car crash and is looking forward to reboot her life. Coming as her competitor is last season's heaviest contestant, Daniel Wright, who wants to continue his journey in losing more weight. There's also 19-year-old Amanda Arlauskas who was voted by viewers during the season 7 finale. She wants to attend her prom night in the way she's always dreamed of.
This season also brings in the heaviest contestant ever, Shauntina "Shay" Sorrells. Starting with 476 lbs, Shay is seeking redemption from her dark past that involved her heroine addict mother and her passing due to blood clot. "It was so clear to me that death was so imminent and so close for me because I'm heavier than she ever was," Shay told Access Hollywood.
These bunch of determined people will compete for the $250,000 grand prize under the training of Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper. The season debuts on September 15.
- Sean Algaier, a 29-year-old youth pastor from Tulsa, OK; Starting Weight: 444 lbs.
- Amanda Arlauskas, a 19-year-old patient care technician from Butler, NJ; Starting Weight: 250 lbs.
- Danny Cahill, a 39-year-old land surveyor and musician from Broken Arrow, OK; Starting Weight: 430 lbs.
- Mozziz "Mo" Dewalt, a 56-year-old youth mentor from Louisville, KY; Starting Weight: 355 lbs.
- Antoine Dove, a 23-year-old health insurance agent from Dudley, NC; Starting Weight: 367 lbs.
- Julio Gomez, a 40-year-old mortgage loan officer from Algonquin, IL; Starting Weight: 407 lbs.
- Dina Mercado, a 28-year-old custodian from Commerce, CA; Starting Weight: 253 lbs.
- Rebecca Meyer, a 25-year-old student/nanny from Des Moines, IA; Starting Weight: 279 lbs.
- Rudy Pauls, a 31-year-old engineer from Brooklyn, CT; Starting Weight: 442 lbs.
- Abby Rike, a 35-year-old teacher from Mabank, TX; Starting Weight: 247 lbs.
- Allen Smith, a 44-year-old firefighter/EMT from Columbus, IN; Starting Weight: 325 lbs.
- Shauntina "Shay" Sorrells, a 30-year-old social worker from Newport Beach, CA; Starting Weight: 476 lbs.
- Alexandra White, a 20-year-old students from Harrisburg, PA; Starting Weight: 209 lbs.
- Daniel Wright, a 20-year-old student from Willow Spring, NC; Starting Weight: 312 lbs.
- Liz Young, a 49-year-old salesperson from Lewisburg, TN; Starting Weight: 267 lbs.
- Tracey Yukich, a 37-year-old homemaker from Allen, TX; Starting Weight: 238 lbs.
More The Biggest Loser News: