Prince Philip Already Gets New Car After Crash, but May Not Be Allowed to Drive Again
WENN
Celebrity

The husband of Queen Elizabeth II has contacted the victims in the other vehicle and exchanged 'well wishes.'

AceShowbiz - Prince Philip has already got a replacement for his wrecked car. The Duke of Edinburgh got his new ride, a Land Rover Freelander, the same model that he rode during the collision, delivered to the Royal family's Sandringham Estate on Friday, January 18, less than 24 hours after the crash, TMZ reports.

Despite getting his new car, the 97-year-old British royal may not be allowed to drive again after the accident. While the incident left people asking why Philip was driving, a friend and biographer Gyles Brandreth says that the husband of Queen Elizabeth II may give up driving if he's advised to.

"He is a pragmatist and a realist and I'm sure he will accept that while possibly muttering under his breath," Brandreth tells PEOPLE. Prince Philip has given up flying planes and playing polo, and retired from his royal duties in 2017.

Of why Philip was still driving at the time of accident, Brandreth says on BBC Radio Four's "Today", "One of the frustrations of getting older is your world is shrinking. And his life has become more circumscribed." Brandreth adds, "He visits old friends but it's frustrating as you grow older to find your world is getting smaller. The independence for an old person to be able to get into their car and just go down the road is a wonderful thing."

But Philip may start considering his family's concern after the car crash. "He is 97 - and still walking without a stick, still carriage driving and still living his life his way. I'm sure this morning, as well as being grateful he's survived, he will be concerned for the other people involved and shaken by this experience," Brandreth continues.

Philip was behind the wheel when his Land Rover collided with a Kia. He left the accident without serious injuries although his car flipped on its side. Witnesses said he was lucky to escape alive. A witness said the Prince was lightly bleeding and appeared "very shocked." Bystander Roy Warne, who pulled Philip from the wreck, recalled, "I helped him move his legs which were a little trapped and a bit crushed, then I saw his face and I realized who it was."

Two women in the other vehicle were hospitalized with minor injuries. A nine-month baby was also found in the backseat of the car, but was uninjured. According to TMZ, the Prince has contacted the two women and exchanged "well wishes."

Field sobriety tests had been performed on both drivers at the scene and the results were negative for alcohol or any other substances. Police are still investigating the accident.

You can share this post!

Related Posts