AceShowbiz - %cThe Rock% is mourning the death of his beloved pup Brutus. The actor shared on Instagram that the recently adopted puppy died on Monday, September 28 after eating toxic mushrooms while out for a walk.
"Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed," Rock wrote underneath a photo of him holding the French bulldog. "At approximately 11:15 p.m. last night myself and [girlfriend Lauren Hashian] had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace."
He also detailed the incident that took Brutus' life, writing "As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members."
Rock went on thanking the medical staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City and ended his post with "We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."
Brutus first stole the public attention when he nearly drowned in the actor's pool over Labor Day weekend. Rock documented himself jumping into the pool fully-clothed to save Brutus and Hobbs. "He was a little delirious," he wrote at that time. "[He] took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, 'Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!' and then ran off to play with his brother [Hobbs]."