It can't be easy creating a winter wonderland in Florida. But if anyone can do it, it's the Extreme Team!
Ty and the team head south to help the Gaston family. Finis Gaston was raised by a single mother who also cared for his young niece, Jasqulon, and nephews Tyshun and Tyvun. Finis was the first-ever male cheerleader at his high school. He scored a college scholarship that would allow him to pursue a career in social work. But when his beloved mom passed away a year before he was to graduate, Finis moved back home to care for his niece and nephews. There's no telling where these three would have ended up if not for him.
Finis does his best to provide a home for his family. It's not easy. The place is falling apart and duct tape can only do so much. That's fine. Because Ty and the team can do a whole lot more. They surprise Finis inside the cafeteria of the school where he works, much to the delight of the screaming kids who love him.
Then everyone heads out to the school football field where the bus pulls up and singing superstar Mariah Carey steps out. Finis has every one of Mariah's CDs; now he has a hug from her, too. Mariah is so impressed by the positive attitude she sees from Finis. It's not easy when you live in a house where the tub faucet needs to be turned on with a wrench. Ty and Mariah send the family off to Walt Disney World in style as they fly away in Santa's sleigh. Okay, they don't really fly. But the sleigh is still cool.
The family rents, so the design team is building a brand new home on a lot of land donated by the local county. Johnny, Tracy and Michael divvy up the duties. Johnny's going to town on a futuristic Tron room for Tyvun. Michael is doing a football-themed room for Tyshun and Tracy will do a room for Jas and her baby. As for Ty, he'll tackle a master bedroom for Finis.
Mariah provides some elves to help the designers with the build. As the team works on the house, Johnny heads out to the community where he finds a gym in need of a new cheerleading coach. Meanwhile, Olympic gold medalist Dominique Dawes surprises the family while they are on vacation. She literally flips out on a gym floor along with Finis, who later learns he has a new job as a cheerleading coach at that gym Johnny visited. He can start work whenever he a wants. We're thinking that'll be right away!
Here's a breakdown of the new home:
- The outside of the house is done in beautiful Mediterranean style. Bricks were used to hold up the old house. Here they are used to protect it. Ty says, "It's beginning to look a lot like brickmas."
- There's a metal tile roof that holds Christmas lights nicely. The best thing about the new home is that Finis has the deed to this place. Those rental days are done.
- There's a stunning wall of family photos in beautiful frames that light up the main room. Finis' mom is right there in the center of it all.
- Johnny's vision of a giant sheet of glass separating Tyshun and Tyvun's room is beyond cool. Different images can be projected from either room or it can be clear glass. It's like a magic wall!
- The Tron-themed room is out of this world complete with a futuristic motorcycle.
- Michael turns footballs into halogen lamps that hang on the sides of Tyshun's bed. Helmets serve as the legs of the bed. It's all a total touchdown!
- Tracy creates a beautifully warm nursery rhyme-themed room for Jasqulon's baby.
- Tracy enlarges a poem Finis wrote to serve as some inspirational dÃ©cor for the wall in Jasqulon's room.
- Ty uses a vintage leather pommel horse that serves as the basis for a bench for Finis.
- Finis says, "Only you can stop you." Ty takes that quote to heart when doing up the headboard on his new bed. The megaphone lamps beside the bed are enough to make anyone shout with joy.
Mariah Carey tells Finis that the city of West Florida has created a scholarship fund for him and the rest of the family. This makes it a very Merry Christmas. Welcome home, Gaston family. Welcome home.