Episode PremiereJanuary 24, 2010
Show Period2004 - Now
Production CompanyEndemol Ent., Lock and Key Prod., ABC, Greengrass
Cast and Crew
- Ty Pennington
- Paul DiMeo
- Paige Hemmis
- Michael Moloney
- Ed Sanders
- Tracy Hutson
- Tanya McQueen
- Eduardo Xol
- John Littlefield
- Rib Hillis
We're off to Buffalo, New York this week to help the Powell family. As soon as we get on the bus, we are joined by Eric Walker, a member of PUSH (People United for Sustainable Housing). This week's family features a participating member of PUSH. Want to meet her?
Delores Powell brought her family over from Jamaica to give them a better life. Working hard to save money and make ends meet, Delores was able to secure $12,000 dollars to buy a six-bedroom house that was large enough for her entire family. The dream house turned out to be a total nightmare when she found out it was on the city's demolition list. Her only hope is to bring the house up to code. Know anyone who can help?
Ty and the extreme team realize that the house is more than just a fixer-upper. The girls of the family have to sleep in one room to produce enough body heat to stay warm in the winter. There is only one working bathroom in the house. It doesn't even have hot water for a bath. Delores explains to us that, every so often, the pipe must be snaked or the whole basement fills up with raw sewage. You heard us...sewage!
We almost break into tears when Delores tells us how she hates that she can't provide everything her family wants. Ty reassures her that she is a strong role model for her children. We can tell just how much her kids love her when Anschel, the youngest Powell, tells us that he wants to be an architect so that, one day, he can build his mom a beautiful mansion.
Ashanti also joins us on the bus this week. She loves the feeling that she's making a difference in Delores' life. Paige is excited to see Ashanti because she's planning a bedroom for Debbie, who wants to be a singer/songwriter. We can't think of a better consultant than a Grammy-winner!
Ty has a special tear-inducing video for the Powell family. We recall the Delores' story of sending her first paycheck back to Jamaica to provide shoes for her family. The shoes that the Powell family helped send earlier in the episode made it to the school Delores used to attend. Every child in the school received shoes. The kids and administrators are forever grateful for the donation. Delores is even happier when she learns the shoes that were donated were not only for the one school but for all of Jamaica. Love it!
Now, onto the new rooms:
- Debbie's Voice Room - Debbie loves the music-friendly room and knows it will help motivate her even harder to pursue her career.
- Abstract Architecture Room - Eduardo provided Anschel with all the tools he'll need to accomplish his architecture dreams. The room comes complete with a model of the Powell home.
- Romantic Room - Gabrielle is given quite a treat with a room she can get lost in while reading and studying.
- Fitness/Chillax Room - Joel thinks his room is off the chain. His favorite team, the Bills, have provided him with autographed helmets. Joel used to sleep downstairs to protect his family. Now he can just check the new security system in his room.
- The Master Bedroom - Wow, the custom furniture in the room was made from the wood of the old house. Butterflies line the walls and Delores is reminded of how her mom taught her to work hard and never give up because it would pay off in the end. Well, Delores. It looks like today is payday!
They weren't lying when they said this was the biggest makeover ever. It not only changed the lives of one family but also an entire community. Welcome home, Powell family. Welcome home.