Michael Jackson's estate has responded to a man's claims that he was molested by the King of Pop as a child, saying that the man's accusations should be dismissed because he once said Jackson never did anything inappropriate to him. A lawyer for Jackson's estate Howard Weitzman said in a statement, "Mr. Safechuck's request to file a late claim against the Jackson Estate so he can recover money from Michael's beneficiary will hopefully be rejected."
"This is a person that made his claim five years after Michael died, more than 20 years after the incidents supposedly happened and has given sworn testimony that Michael never did anything inappropriate to him," Weitzman added.
Previously, a man named James Safechuck, 36, submitted court documents on Monday, August 4 to ask permission to file a late claim against the singer's estate. According to the documents, the alleged sex abuse took place after Safechuck appeared in a 1987 Pepsi commercial with the "Beat It" singer when he was a minor.
"[Jackson] engaged in a calculated course of conduct to lure both [Safechuck] and his parents into a false sense of security and normalcy that was far from reality," read the documents. "And [Jackson] was successful in his efforts to the point that [Safechuck] endured repeated acts of sexual abuse of a heinous nature and was brainwashed by the decedent into believing they were acts of love and instigated by James himself rather than the decedent." A hearing for the case is scheduled for September 4.