Disney reveals that new installments of the George Lucas-created film franchise will alternate with stand-alone films that might focus on Yoda, Han Solo, and Boba Fett.
Following the acquisition of Lucasfilm, Disney gears up to aggressively expand "Star Wars" franchise. In a presentation at CinemaCon on April 17, Disney representatives announced that the studio would release a new "Star Wars" film into theaters every summer starting in 2015, alternating with an "Episode" film and a stand-alone film.
The news of the studio preparing stand-alone films was already confirmed earlier this February. "I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few standalone films, Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga," Disney CEO Bob Iger said.
The spin-off films, which probably will be released in 2016, 2018, and 2020, are rumored to center on young Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Yoda. It is not clear whether or not director J.J. Abrams, who is now busy preparing for the release of "Star Trek Into Darkness" and working on "Star Wars Episode 7", will be involved in the stand-alone films as well.
Back in October, Disney officially acquired George Lucas' Lucasfilm for $4 billion. "As far as the legacy George has created, we don't take that lightly," Iger said. In addition to annual "Star Wars" film, the chief revealed that the studio had prepared another big plan for "Star Wars" franchise, saying, "We definitely plan to expand the presence of Star Wars in our parks which could include new parks."