November 06, 2012 08:21:11 GMT
A highly-placed source reveals that Ford is 'upbeat' about reprising the role of the space smuggler, which first appeared in 1977's 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope'.
More and more scoops about "Star Wars Episode 7" have surfaced. This time around, it is said that Harrison Ford might be returning as Han Solo in the upcoming 2015 movie as a highly-placed insider reveals the actor is open to the idea.
"Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he's upbeat about it, all three of them are," says the source to Entertainment Weekly. The source refers to Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher who played Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa respectively in George Lucas' "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope", the first chapter in the famous franchise.
Though it is now reported that Ford is keen to reprise his iconic role, the 70-year-old actor himself once stated that Solo "was not so interesting to me." He told ABC in a 2010 interview that his character was supposed to die in 1983's "Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi", but the fan-favorite smuggler was spared thanks to the selling number of the toys.
"I thought he should have died in the last one to give it some bottom... George didn't think there was any future in dead Han toys," said Ford. Should he really return to "Episode 7", EW notes that his contract will likely include "a mandatory death scene" for the character.
Ford, Hamil and Fisher were last seen in "Retun of the Jedi", in which they were on the forest moon of Endor that reflected the downfall of the Emperor and Darth Vader's final act of redemption. As for the upcoming new "Star Wars", the story reportedly will pick around twenty years after the end of the three original movies.
The new "Star Wars" project has been massively stealing people's attention since it was announced by Walt Disney following its acquisition on Lucasfilm in late October. Die-hard fans of the space saga have been speculating about where the story will pick up, who are the actors that will star in it and most importantly, who will replace Lucas as the new helmer.
Earlier on November 5, Collider shared the words that Matthew Vaughn was in talks to helm the much-talked-about movie project. It was rumored that Vaughn's recent decision to quit "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was because of his negotiations with Lucasfilm for the upcoming big movie. The report, however, has yet to be confirmed.