AceShowbiz - Reports suggesting "Star Wars" producers have cancelled plans to release more spin-off movies are untrue, according to sources close to the franchise.
Earlier this week (begin June 18) a report on the website Collider claimed that bosses at Disney and its subsidiary Lucasfilm were planning to shelve future spin-offs after last month's "Solo: A Star Wars Story" earned a disappointing $350 million (£265 million) at the global box office.
However, Lucasfilm sources told U.S. network ABC, also owned by Disney, that the claims were "inaccurate" and that the series of films were proceeding as planned.
Since reviving the iconic science-fiction franchise in 2015, Disney bosses have alternated between episodic films chronologically following on from the story of the original "Star Wars" trilogy and spin-offs exploring the galaxy's past.
Movie insiders told the news network that "multiple" Star Wars films are still in development - but are yet to be officially announced.
The new projects will be in addition to next year's "Episode IX", which will be directed by "The Force Awakens" filmmaker J.J. Abrams, and a new episodic trilogy overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson.
"Game of Thrones" creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have also signed on to produce another independent series of "Star Wars" films.
Despite receiving generally positive reviews from critics, the current "Star Wars" trilogy has drawn criticism from a vocal section of the original movies' fanbase.
Johnson recently intervened to criticise fans who hounded Asian-American actress Kelly Marie Tran off social media due to her role as maintenance whizz Rose Tico in "The Last Jedi", and he also joked about an online campaign by disgruntled fans to remake it.
please please please please pleeeeeeeaaaase please actually happen please please please please please 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 https://t.co/mNpSjgovax— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) June 21, 2018
"Please please please please pleeeeeeeaaaase please actually happen please please please please please (sic)," he wrote, while quoting tweets promoting their campaign.