Tom Petty's Cause of Death Revealed: Accidental Drug Overdose Involving Opioids
Celebrity

The Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers lead singer had been on several different kinds of pain medication and his worsened fractured hip led him to overusing the drugs.

AceShowbiz - Everyone was shocked by the sudden death of Tom Petty in October and now the cause of death has been officially revealed. The medical examiner-coroner for the county of Los Angeles announced on Friday, January 19 that the singer died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications that included opioids.

According to the autopsy report, the lead singer of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers had been on several different kinds of pain medication, including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, which the singer was prescribed for emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip, among other medical issues.

His family posted a statement on Facebook explaining his condition that led to him overusing his medication. "Unfortunately Tom's body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip," the family stated. "Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury."

They continued, "On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication. We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident."

"As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications," the statement continued to read.

They also remarked, "On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed. We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months."

Tom Petty passed away on October 2 at 66 years old, after found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home the day before. Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, said in a statement at the time, "On behalf of the Tom Petty family, we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 P.M. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends."

You can share this post!

Related Posts