AceShowbiz - Harrison Ford was cleared on Monday, April 3 by the FAA for his February incident in which he landed a 737 jet on the taxiway at John Wayne International Airport in Orange County, CA. According to TMZ, "The FAA inspector and managers who made the decision were unanimous that no discipline or further action was appropriate."
However, it seems that some inspectors are not happy with the decision. The site stated that some felt that the 74-year-old actor "should have been ordered to take what's called a '709 ride,' where an inspector re-examines a pilot's skills." They believed that Harrison got off too easy just because he was a celebrity.
Harrison's lawyer Steve Hofer, however, declined the accusation and claimed that the rumor of the preferential treatment "is ridiculous." Hofer said Harrison went for a meeting at the FAA with multiple inspectors and was grilled with "hard questions." According to the source, the actor was "shown video, computer simulations, radar data and listened to audio of the incident and faced questions about his decisions."
The lawyer said that FAA required Harrison to engage in airman counseling, where he was given materials to review on pilot protocol and safety. Harrison was also required to attend a second meeting, which took a number of hours, where he was given quiz on the aforementioned materials. He was then ordered back for a second meeting where he was quizzed on the materials.
Hofer further added that a 709 ride was unnecessary since Harrison had been flying for more than 20 years. In addition, "inspectors were satisfied with the airman's counseling." Ian Gregor of the FAA told TMZ, "The way we resolved this case is consistent with FAA policy."