AceShowbiz - Denzel Washington has addressed the lack of people of color at the Academy Awards that has spawned the #OscarsSoWhite campaign. The two-time Oscar winner revealed in an interview with "60 Minutes" that he had experienced the unfairness at the prestigious annual event, but he wouldn't give in to it.
"I don't have to think about it, I've lived it," Denzel said of the lack of diversity. "I've been the guy at the Oscars without my name being called, I've been the guy at the Oscars when my name is called, I've been the Oscars when everybody thought they were going to call my name and they didn't," he shared. "So I've lived it."
The 61-year-old actor/director added he's well aware that the playing field was unfair, but it won't discourage him. With tears in his eyes, he told Bill Whitaker, "Yeah and so what? Give up? If you're looking for an excuse, you'll find one. You can find it wherever you'd like. You can't live like that. Just do the best you can do."
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated only white actors in its four acting categories for the past two years. In response to the controversy earlier this year, the Academy apparently decided to diversify its ranks, as several actors of color in movies got attention, including Denzel for his performance in "Fences".
The full interview with Denzel will air on Sunday, December 18 at 7:30 P.M. ET/7 P.M. PT on CBS.