AceShowbiz - The ship is not going to sail with Margot Robbie. Back in June 2020, it was announced that the Oscar nominee had been on board a new "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, but Disney appears to have had a change of heart.
It was Robbie herself who gave an update on the supposed female-led spin-off of the fantasy swashbuckler film franchise. In an interview for her Vanity Fair cover story, the actress shared of the project, "We had an idea and we were developing it for a while, ages ago, to have more of a female-led - not totally female-led, but just a different kind of story - which we thought would've been really cool. But I guess they don't want to do it."
Disney has not officially confirmed if the female-led spin-off has been killed.
Back in June 2020, Disney announced that Robbie would star in a new female-focused version of "Pirates of the Caribbean". The project would reunite the "Suicide Squad" star with her "Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" writer Christina Hodson, with franchise producer Jerry Bruckheimer producing.
Disney was also developing a second reboot written by franchise veteran Ted Elliott and "Chernobyl" creator Craig Mazin. In an interview with The Sunday Times in May, Bruckheimer said that both films remained in development, while Johnny Depp, who starred in all five past "Pirates" installments, was not involved in any future projects at the moment amid his legal battle with Amber Heard.
"Yes. We're talking to Margot Robbie. We are developing two 'Pirates' scripts - one with her, one without," he said when asked about the future of the "Pirates" franchise. "[Will Depp be back?] Not at this point. The future is yet to be decided."
Robbie is currently on press tour for the old Hollywood epic "Babylon", which has her starring alongside Brad Pitt, Diego Calva and many more. The film, written and directed by Oscar winner Damien Chazelle ("La La Land", "First Man"), is slated for release by Paramount Pictures on December 23.