The boyband returned earlier this year with the announcement of "Most Wanted - The Greatest Hits", out on Friday (12Nov21), which comes amid Tom's brain tumour battle.
It seems the singer's health woes had a lot to do with the comeback, with Max George telling MailOnline the boys initially rejected his idea to record new music.
"It just didn't quite fit everyone," he explained. "We went quiet on it and then Tom got his diagnosis and that brought us together to talk as a group."
Now, the bandmembers - also including Nathan Sykes, Jay McGuinness, and Siva Kaneswaran - are thrilled to be back together and are looking forward to hitting the road for their U.K. tour next year.
"(The reunion has) gone from strength to strength and our relationship with each other is exactly the same as it was and that's it. We're just moving and looking forward," added Max.
And the comeback doesn't end there as Max reveals The Wanted are considering returning to the studio for another album of original material.
He said, "We put the single out, Rule The World, because we wanted to do new stuff and show people we are back. We're not just a flash in the pan, buy the album, see you later."
"We are doing this properly. We're committed to it. We've not gone and recorded another line of songs that are ready to go, we're just seeing how it goes and as long as we're still enjoying it then we'll get back in the studio and do more. We're not putting pressure on ourselves this time but so far, so good."
Tom was initially told he would survive for 12 to 18 months when he was diagnosed last year (20) but, after undergoing six rounds of chemotherapy and 30 radiotherapy sessions, Tom is hoping to be cancer-free by March (22).