British Magazine 'Stands By' Its Published Stories Following Prince Harry's Legal Attack
WENN
Celebrity

The Mail on Sunday has run multiple embarassing stories about Meghan Markle, including report about the Duchess of Sussex's father staging paparazzi photographs ahead of the royal couple's wedding last year.

AceShowbiz - Prince Harry has taken an unusual decision by suing British press The Mail on Sunday for its "ruthless" treatment to his wife Meghan Markle. And now, the publication has released a statement in response to the Duke of Sussex's scathing open letter and lawsuit.

"The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously," a spokesman for the Mail on Sunday said in a statement. Additionally, the statement continued, "Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess's letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning," alluding to one of its article in which it revealed Meghan's letter to her father Thomas Markle.

The Mail on Sunday has run multiple embarassing stories about the Duchess of Sussex. It published the report about Thomas staging paparazzi photographs of him visiting an internet cafe to read about his daughter's royal engagement, the royal couple's use of environment-damaging private jets as well as the Sussexes' refusal to allow media coverage of baby Archie's private christening and name his godparents.

In his statement published on Tuesday, October 1, Harry said, "Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son."

"There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face - as so many of you can relate to - I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been. Because in today's digital age, press fabrications are repurposed as truth across the globe...," he went on saying.

Prince Harry added, "Up to now, we have been unable to correct the continual misrepresentations - something that these select media outlets have been aware of and have therefore exploited on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. It is for this reason we are taking legal action, a process that has been many months in the making. The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave...."

Meanwhile, Harry's legal spokesperson also released a statement, which read, "We have initiated legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, and its parent company Associated Newspapers, over the intrusive and unlawful publication of a private letter written by the Duchess of Sussex, which is part of a campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband." It's said that any cash won in the case will benefit an anti-bullying charity.

You can share this post!

Related Posts