AceShowbiz - Jussie Smollett has turned over partial phone records to the police to help them with their investigation into his attack.
The 35-year-old gay actor was assaulted outside his apartment in Chicago at the end of January, when he was beaten by two men, who allegedly poured a chemical substance over him and tied a noose around his neck while yelling racial and homophobic slurs.
Police launched an investigation into the crime, and recently publicly revealed that Jussie had declined to hand over his phone records to help them look into his allegations.
However, on Monday, February 11, a representative for the Chicago P.D. revealed that they had finally received them.
"Chicago Police received limited and redacted phone records from the victim," the Chicago PD said in a statement. "These records will be analysed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed."
According to The Wrap, spokesman Howard Ludwig said, "Usually when we ask people to hand over their records, they just hand over their phone."
The police had asked for the "Empire" star's phone records so they could confirm his claims that he had been on the phone to his manager Brandon Z. Moore when he was attacked.
"CPD has no reason to doubt these claims. Detectives, however, were not able to independently verify the statements as cell phone records were not provided to investigators when asked. Therefore we are not able to confirm this," they told The Wrap late January.
Police Department representatives also revealed on Monday that reporters with the New York Post found an empty bottle that smelled like bleach near where Jussie said he was attacked, but it is not clear if it is related to the incident as it wasn't found during earlier searches.
Jussie was hospitalised following the attack but has since returned to work on the U.S. TV show.