AceShowbiz - Conor McGregor has turned himself to police after he was caught in videos attacking a bus at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York on Thursday afternoon, April 5. The UFC lightweight champion, accompanied by his lawyer, turned himself in to police at the 78th Precinct station house in Brooklyn at approximately 10:23 P.M. EST on the same day.
The spokesman, Officer George Tsourovakas, says that Conor is detained, but has not been formally charged. "The investigation is continuing," George says. The 29-year-old Irish hunk is expected to be charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment, law enforcement sources tell the New York Post.
Sophia Mason, a spokeswoman for the New York Police Department, said earlier in an email that Conor, accompanied by about 10 others, entered the Brooklyn arena around 1:30 P.M. and "threw a hand truck at a bus, causing an injury to an individual on the bus."
One of the objects was thrown to the bus window and caused an injury on UFC lightweight contender Michael Chiesa. He reportedly was left with cuts on his face, but Sophia described the injury as minor.
Fighters were at the arena doing media ahead of UFC 223. Conor wasn't scheduled to fight at UFC 223. It's unclear what caused the brawl, but UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was also in the bus, got into a heated confrontation with Conor's good friend and training partner Artem Lobov on Tuesday at the UFC fighters' hotel in New York.
UFC President Dana White said of the incident, "They stormed the building, got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on buses and started to attack the buses with trash cans, dollies." She additionally told ESPN, "This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of this company."
Warrant was later issued for Conor who was wanted for questioning by police.
Meanwhile, Michael, who was slated to face Anthony Pettis on the main card, has been ruled out of Saturday's UFC 223 due to facial injuries he suffered in the incident.