Broadway's 'Plaza Suite' Cancels 'Future Performances' After Sarah Jessica Parker Contracts COVID-19
Instagram
Movie

The 'Sex and the City' actress' positive result comes less than three days after her husband, Matthew Broderick, tested positive for the highly-contagious disease.

AceShowbiz - The producers of Broadway's "Plaza Suite" have announced the show's cancellation after Sarah Jessica Parker tested positive for COVID-19. According to the show's producers, "future performances" are canceled due to the show's lead COVID diagnosis.

On Thursday, April 7, the show's producers said in a statement to Variety, "With both Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker positive for COVID, tonight's performance of 'Plaza Suite' is canceled." They continued, "The producers apologize for the inconvenience this has caused audience members. Ticket holders should contact their point of sale to reschedule for future performances or obtain a refund."

They added, "Everyone wishes Matthew and Sarah Jessica a speedy recovery." It is unclear when the show will return. However, the "Plaza Suite" producers said they will give updates about future performances at a later date.

According to reports, Sarah received a positive result on Thursday after taking two tests. Two days earlier, the "Sex and the City" actress' husband, Matthew, caught the coronavirus and had to cancel his "Plaza Suite" performance.

"Matthew Broderick received a COVID-19 positive result before today's performance of Plaza Suite, despite strict adherence to COVID safety protocols," said a spokesperson for the production on April 5. "Everyone wishes [Matthew] a speedy recovery." At the time, Sarah still tested negative and performed opposite Matthew's standby, Tony-winning actor Michael McGrath.

"Plaza Suite" is a revival of Neil Simon's classic play that tells the story of three couples, all played by Sarah and Matthew, in New York City's famed Plaza Hotel. The show was originally intended to debut in 2020 but the COVID-19 closure delayed its opening night.

Broadway shows have continued to follow strict COVID-19 protocols, including proof of vaccination and mask requirements, but the virus has still managed to impact nearly every production, including "A Strange Loop" and "Macbeth".

"A Strange Loop", Michael R. Jackson's Pulitzer-winning musical, canceled its first Broadway preview due to cases of COVID-19 detected within the company. The show was originally set for April 6. Previews are now expected to begin on April 11 at the Lyceum Theatre with understudies in some roles.

Earlier this month, producers of "Macbeth" put the production on pause after Daniel Craig tested positive for the highly-contagious virus. "Today's matinee and evening performance of MACBETH are cancelled due to Daniel Craig just testing positive for COVID this afternoon," a statement posted on April 2 read. "We apologize for the inconvenience this causes ticket holders, but the safety of our audiences, the cast and crew remains our top priority. All tickets for the cancelled performance will be refunded at the original point of purchase."

However, Daniel was not the only one who contracted the coronavirus. Hours after the initial announcement, the production revealed, "Performances of MACBETH on Broadway are being cancelled through Thursday, April 7th due to the detection of a limited number of positive covid test results within the company."

You can share this post!

Related Posts