AceShowbiz - Stevie Nicks couldn't help but think that her close friend Prince might have killed himself last year. The Fleetwood Mac singer wondered if the late singer deliberately overdosed on fentanyl painkiller because he was devastated by his prescription drug addiction and fed up with his terribly isolated life.
"I don't know in my heart of hearts whether he just took too much. Or did he purposefully take too much? Did he accidentally take too much?" Stevie told Mirror. "When you get to be our age--and he was younger than me--and you're like, 'I'm not making hit records any more... I'm not able to really tour any more because of my health.' " She continued, "You're not married, you don't have children... you don't hang out with a bunch of people, because you're really an isolationist."
Prince was divorced from his second wife in 2006 and was completely alone in an elevator on his estate when he died. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker had been fighting chronic hip pain for years due to active choreography on every performance. "Fentanyl is the worst of the worst of the worst; way stronger than heroin, morphine, anything--and he was having to take it because I think he was probably fractured from his neck down to his feet," Stevie shared.
She further claimed that Prince was devastated by his addiction because he had made it his work to warn people off drugs. "I think when you're in that much pain, and you're somebody who has made it your life's work to preach about the downfall of people that do drugs, that had to be [a burden]. I think that broke his heart," she concluded.