if ($layoutType == 'mobile')
mb_bottomframe($kanal, $htmlfile, $brstatus);
Maria Sharapova Trivia
- Home > Celebrity
> Maria Sharapova
> Maria Sharapova Trivia
- Famous as : Tennis player
- Birth Name : Maria Yuryevna Sharapova
- Birth Date : April 19, 1987
- Birth Place : Nyagan, Siberia, Russia
- Spouse : -
- Claim to Fame : The 2nd youngest Wimbledon women's champion in the Open Era (2004)
- Was chosen as the first global brand ambassador for mobile communications firm Sony Ericsson (January 2008).
- Voted the 7th World's Most Eligible Bachelorette by FHM Magazine in February 2007.
- Ranked #8 on FHM Magazine's annual list of "100 Sexiest Women in the World" in 2006.
- Was listed by Forbes Magazine as The Highest-Paid Female Athlete in the World in June 2005, with annual earnings of 18 million dollar U.S.
- Was featured in W Magazine and USA Today in 2003.
- Secured the 3rd spot on Forbes.com's annual list of the 20 Top-Earning Stars Under 25, pulled in $23 million between June 2006 to June 2007.
- Her Nickname is Masha.
- Was defeated by Justine Henin-Hardenne in the final of Siemens Women Tennis Trophy after holding eight match points!
- Was among the 50 Most Beautiful Celebrities in the World according to People Magazine's list by April 2005.
- Is an IMG Model as she had signed deal with the company in November 2003.
- Her favorite beverages are orangina and virgin strawberry daiquiris.
- Besides tennis, her other interests include fashion, singing, dancing and movies.
- Entered the WTA world rankings at number 532 in 2002 and finished at number 186 by the end of the same year.
- Was about to face Anna Kournikova in the semi-final of Sea Island Tournament in May 2003 when Kournikova finally pulled out before the match.
- Was mentioned as one of 21 Athletes to Watch For in the 21st Century according to SPORT Magazine.
- Was labeled one of The Coolest Girls in America by YM magazine and 'On the Move' by People Magazine.
- Her name appeared in Teen People's list of 20 Teens Who Will Change the World in 2002.
- Her father, Youri Sharapov, had been criticized particularly by Myskina of his disruptive courtside behavior and his shouting of rude things against Maria's compatriots on the WTA Tour.
- Wasn't included in Russian team at the Fed Cup as Anastasia Myskina threatened to have a boycott if she joined the team.
- When competed at Wimbledon Center Court on June 21, 2005, her loudest grunt reached 101.2 decibels, which is above the sound of a motorcycle or a lawnmower.
- Her rank instantly leapt from #15 to #8 after winning Wimbledon in 2004.
- Became the first Russian tennis player ever to win Grand Slam Wimbledon.
- Is often compared to Anna Kournikova, yet she rejects the comparison.
- Appeared in Vogue Italia by August 2004.
- Became the first tennis player in more than two years to be the cover of Sports Illustrated in a special double-issue on newsstands for two weeks.
- Wears Nike and uses a Prince racquet in the court.
- Was signed up by Prince, Oakley and Nike at the age of 9.
- In order to develop her skills, her parents sent her to U.S. instead of Russia even though the Russian government had provided ample funding to support its tennis development program.
- Her last name, Sharapova, is the feminine version of her father's name, Sharapov.
- Loves to have dessert of French crepes with Nutella.
- Enjoys Russian and Thai cuisine.
- Likes to read "Sherlock Holmes" and "Pippi Longstocking" series.
- Her favorite movies are "Mona Lisa Smile" (2003), "Something's Gotta Give" (2003) and "Love Actually" (2003).
- Is able to use both hands with equal facility that she almost became a left-handed tennis player.
- She plays right-handed and two-handed backhand.