AceShowbiz - Jay Leno is doing OK as he recovers from severe burns, according to his longtime friend Tim Allen. The 72-year-old former "Tonight Show" host was left with "significant" injuries after one of his vintage cars burst into flames in his garage last Saturday, November 12, and he is now recovering in a specialist burns unit in Los Angeles where he was visited by his pal Tim after undergoing skin graft surgery.
"He's feeling better. We did some jokes, which is what we do. We commiserated," Tim told TMZ as he insisted Jay was in good spirits. Tim explained Jay's face wouldn't be disfigured after the accident while joking he would come out of hospital looking like actor George Clooney. "He's handsome and he's happy. The hospital is doing a great job taking care of him," he added.
Dr. Peter Grossman, a plastic surgeon and medical director of Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital in Los Angeles, previously revealed Jay had undergone skin graft surgery saying, "He has undergone one surgery so far. He did well with that surgery. He is in good spirits today."
Peter confirmed Jay - who is an avid car collector - has "significant" and "deep" second-degree burns and "possibly" some third-degree burns following the incident, but revealed the TV host has been walking around the hospital and making jokes.
The surgeon added in a press briefing, "Our hope is that when everything is all said and done, he will do well. But burn injuries are progressive and dynamic and it's hard to predict ultimately what the final outcome will be at this stage in the game.
"He seems to be a gentleman who really just does not want to make a big deal of this. He wants to move forward and he wants to get back to work. I had to tell him that he needs to step it back a little bit and just realise that some of [this] takes time."
After the accident, Jay released a statement assuring fans he was alright. Jay said, "I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am OK. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet."